This Disappears When Logged In

Varus, My First Snake

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Failbot88, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Failbot88

Failbot88 Member

First post to these forums so i'd just like to say hello! This is my first snake ever, so I can't really tell ya much other than he's an albino kingsnake. If anyone has anything to add on that as far as his morph goes i'd greatly appreciate it. The place I got him from said he's around 6 months old. He's still a little sketched out by me but I know with time he'll get used to me. Here is my varus
    D5lm2.jpg fzIIN.jpg LwNXt.jpg TKgAW.jpg
    I've recently changed his bedding from sand to aspen, and my god does he love to burrow! Can't wait to watch him grow =]

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Welcome! He is very cute.

3. Failbot88

Failbot88 Member

why thank you!

4. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome! That's a little looker you have there

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Welcome and what a nice looking king snake :)
    No idea on the morph, i'm the cornsnake crazy person here lol!!
    I love aspen or shredded paper with them when they are young they love to hide in it.

6. Failbot88

Failbot88 Member

tyvm! I thought so too, didnt even go into the store planning on buying anything let alone a snake. I saw him and needless to say he came home with me haha. I feel like a jerk when it comes time to feed because I gotta tear up him little tunnel system to find him xD but im sure he doesnt mind, just means more burrowing!

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I feed all my snakes in their enclosures, I'd just put his pinky on a piece of paper towel and he'll find it :) The feed them in the tank makes them agressive is a myth. I tong feed my snakes so they associate the tongs with food and not my hands. Plus you don't stress them out finding them lol!

8. riderx4life

riderx4life Well-Known Member

wow what a beautiful snake!!

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

welcome, that a really nice looking little guy!

10. Failbot88

Failbot88 Member

thank you guys! Eventually I am going to pick up some digital thermometers and hydrometers because I know the analog ones are highly inaccurate. Also plan on getting a nice vivarium with a glass top and front opening but I know i've still got some time before he'll actually need a bigger tank.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Go to Walmart, lowes, or homedepot and get an indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer with a probe. They are surprisingly cheap ($6-45 depending on how complicated you want). I use AcuRite brand and it was $12.

12. Failbot88

Failbot88 Member

Can you show me a pic of your setup? I'm just curious as to how to run the wiring in the cage because I have a slide on mesh top.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

yeah. Let me transfer the photos over and I can post them.

14. itchmynipple

itchmynipple New Member

hey man, its "Hygrometers" so you know what your searching for one :p ( you said hydrometer)

the only good analog hygrometers seem to be american made non-plastic ones. those ones work well however and theres a way to reset it. but a little harder to find in stores, you probably better off going online, but nonetheless its up to you.

i used to grow fungus, i used a high quality hygrometer non digital and it did me well ;]