This Disappears When Logged In

Value and Cost

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Knox, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As in most things, what is an acceptable price on something is based on the depth of your desire for it and the amount of "disposable income" that you have at hand.

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Isn't that your parents money.:D

I agree with you 100% Merlin.

It is hard to understand what a 1000 dollars mean because I dont know what things in general cost.

In SA the average salary is between R2 000.00 - to R6 000.00, to give an idea of value.

My iguana was R800.00, but I have spend thousands and thousands on my iguana if it counts.:p I have paid over R1 200.00 for a tarantula and now I am sure you all think I am absolutely crazy!:D

The point is, if you love something and you really want it, you will pay for it. We work everyday for our money, so these things are just a little pleasure that we take from our salaries. If we just had to pay for responsibilities all the time then we would be totally miserable. Other people spend their money on 'toys' or entertainment etc. we spend it on reptiles.:D

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I guess my thing is if I want a Black lab puppy and I look up different places and one place has free farm raised, others have $50 family raised with shots, and the breeder that has $1200 shots, and hunting parents.

I don't know it i would care between the family raised and the breeding one. I got mine for $65 at a animal shelter that looked like jail.

Where as parrots which i aways only see a few hundred and up i wouldn't question so much.

My roommate bought his girlfriend a poodle from a breeder that i don't trust, they had about 15 breeds and they bred mixes and charged 450-600 a puppy. They didn't show her the parents of her dogs said that they couldn't leave their puppies????? She was taking a puppy home i think momma and pappa could come out.

I guess to me if the range is from 0-1000+ then i might not be likely to spend the 1000+ for something i cant see the difference in.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is what is known as a puppy mill! They won't show the parents or let you inside the facility because they are in deplorable conditions and any dog you get from them is likely to have medical problems!
    When confronted with such a situation, hold tightly to your wallat and run like crazy!

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

They let you see the other dogs kind of. I got the puppy mill red flag. I wouldn't buy from a place that didn't let you see the parents and I told them that. They didn't care.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Knox, me and you have one thing in common now. I will never buy a slinker, they are ugly and a disgrace to GSD's. It sucks too because so many have been breed now that it is hard to find a good line. I know of one but they cheapest they have is 1500 then it goes up to 15000 or 20000. LOL. Yes for a dog.

We got lucky, well my mom did anyway. When we worked at the spca some one brought in a GSD and mom adopted him for the 50 bucks. I looked at his papers that they brought in with him. Grand parents and great grand parents were from Germany and west Germany. I got to looking the other week for more info on his bloodlines and well it was the ones that start out really high like I mentioned. How much he cost I don't know, but mom loves him, but sadly his time is coming to an end. I think I am going to have to take him in soon and have him put down. his hips are bad and he's had a stroke I think. After getting rolled by a horse twice it don't feel too get when you get old.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I LOVE the German Bloodline GSDs. They are much thicker than the American Bloodlines.

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes and they walk and look like a normal dog and not at an angle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.