This Disappears When Logged In

Vacationing in Texas

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DarkMagician207, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

been down here on vacation for my cousin's wedding since saturday and yesterday while looking around outside at my aunt's house i found 2 anoles and a tiny little tree frog no bigger than about an inch. it was so cute, just hanging around in a space between the bricks of her house. it was an exciting experience for me cuz i've never really seen one out of a pet store or enclosed environment. :D i really wish i would've taken pics but i was too excited that i didn't even think of cameras. i got a jar with a lid from my aunt to put him in so i could get a closer look cuz everytime i went to peek in my hands he would try to get away. after checking him out for a little while i let him back go where i found him and continued looking around. didn't see any other frogs but saw about 4 anoles. those were too fast for me though lol. either that or they're too high up for me to reach. like yesterday there was one sitting on the rain gutter at the very top and was looking down at me like he was laughing cuz i couldn't reach. little stinker! oh well. maybe next time. we're here till friday so maybe i'll find more things of interest. my dad said he saw some snakes out in the backyard but i missed them cuz i was inside takin a shower. bummer. they also get geckos around here but they don't come out till later on in the evening. i think they're house geckos or something. haven't been down here in like 8 years and thats the last time i saw one around my aunt's house. are there house geckos down here?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Sounds like a good vacation !!! too bad no pics.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Good job. So how do you like our crazy weather. Did you figure out what city you are in? lol

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Anoles are fast and usually quick to drop their tails. I usually stick to pics with wild ones. I love lil tree frogs, they are cute as a button. We are glad you're having a good time.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, there are house geckos down there. They're meditteranean geckos. See my other thread about them:

http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=987

I wish I could see some treefrogs or anoles around here. So far all I've seen are tons of meditteranean gex and a horned lizard as far as herps go. What part of Texas are you in?

6. DarkMagician207

its reeeeeally hot here!! lol. right now its like 81. its crazy. kinda makes me miss the pa weather we have there now. lol. :p ummm and as far as where i am we've gone between seabrook (sp?) and pearland (sp?) i believe. lol i don't really pay attention to the names of the areas i'm around. those pics of the geckos are great. looks just like the ones i remember seeing. :D

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome, that is about 30-45 min away. :p

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Well, pick a place and meet up you two!! I think it would be neat to meet up with a fellow herper from this site :) This is your chance- go for it! :p

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hmm, well I have no idea where Katy or any of those other places are. Goodfellow's right outside San Angelo. Its a small base next to a small town. I'm more in the west-central part of the state though.

10. DarkMagician207

that would be really cool to meet however we only have one day left until the wedding and tomorrow is it. we're doing a bunch of family stuff. oh well. perhaps some other time or whenever there is another herpcenter day or something like that where i could try to make it then and see some people. we've had such a busy week here its been crazy. we were shopping in Kemah(sp?) today and did some shopping. there was an iguana there named Spike and he was really cool. we took some pics. and when we were there yesterday we did this stingray reef thing and got to feed and pet stingrays. it was awesome. there was also some red eared sliders and a little alligators. when we get the film developed and i load them onto the comp i will definitely be posting them up. my aunt's computer doesn't have a scanner or anything so pics will have to wait unfortunately. 3 more days until we go home. :)

11. cman

cman Elite Member

I love anoles theres so many down in florida where my aunt lives its fun to try to catch them lol

12. DarkMagician207

lol i would've loved to catch them but they were always sitting too high up for me to reach on rain gutters. they always looked like they were laughing at me cuz i was too short to reach. :D

13. cman

cman Elite Member

lol I bet they were laughing lol

14. DarkMagician207

yea lol i bet they were too. they always looked like they had a smile on their faces. "haha she can't catch us! she's too short!" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.