This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Question.

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by uromastyx, Jul 1, 2012.

1. uromastyx

uromastyx Well-Known Member

How long can one of my bearded dragons go without a UVB bulb. One of mine burned out super early(I just got it 3 weeks ago) and I'm getting a new one sent but I just wanted to know how long she could go without any ill effects. She's still just a baby/VERY YOUNG juvie for those of you who don't know.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long are you looking to keep the dragon without UVB? That is likely the more important question. There is no real set amount of days that will determine when the animal will start having problems. So long as the dragon isn't basking under UVB it isn't creating its own D3 and thus isn't metabolising its dietary calcium. The sooner you can get it back under some UVB the better!

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

In addition to Rich's comment above, what type of UVB bulb are you using?

4. uromastyx

It's a Repti-Sun 10.0 Fluorescent tube. They are sending me a new one free of charge and it should be here no later than at the end of the week.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, a week without UVB irradiation should not have any negative effects on the lizards health, it does rain (and can be overcast) in Australia at times in parts of their range. Also, you can always offer a little supplementary D3 powder until the new bulb arrives.

6. uromastyx

Thanks! I was already going to supplement with d3 because I hate would hate for MBD to set in. I know that's unlikely but I've heard horror stories of it coming out of no where and I don't want that to happen.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

MBD isn't going to set in in a weeks time...it'll be fine. Just make sure you do your best to ensure that the animal is receiving proper amounts of UVB when you do have a source. That entails ensuring the bulb is within a reasonable distance from the animal (8-12") and that the bulb is replaced every six months. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend picking up a good UV meter (i.e. SolarMeter 6.2) to keep track of this. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

UVB will still penetrate even on a cloudy day. You can get sunburned and never even see the sun!
    But I agree. A week isn't going to hurt.

9. Zane

Zane Well-Known Member

If you are really worried about it just take your little guy outside with you for 15 min or so... it's not nearly as much as he would get naturally, but I don't think you want to spend a large majority of your day just holding your lizard in the sun either. But a little bit of UVB is always better than none at all.

10. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

No kidding. I'm pretty sure that's a southern classic. If you're in Alabama, then check the temp outside, and if it's in the right range, take your little guy out for a little while. If he's still a juvie he might be squirmy, and another option is to hold him near a screened open window. It's not going to be the same as a UVB, or a full day of natural sunshine, but it is better than nothing.

11. uromastyx

Yea I had heard that I could take her outside. I don't even have to check the temp it's been hovering around 102-103 for about a week now, although we're supposed to get a cold front this week and it's supposed to get all the way down to 99 lol.