This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Question

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by HDreptiles, Apr 11, 2011.

1. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I am fairly new to the hobby and had some questions about UVB lighting. I have 2 leopard geckos, 2 corn snakes, and a bearded dragon. I have UVB light for the beardie, but was wondering if I should also give the leos and snakes some UVB light. If so, how much and how long. Would it be ok to use it in a 12/12 hour day like I do for the Beardie? Thank you all.

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Neither of them need it, but if you used them, there would be no harm.
    Some people believe using UVB makes their herps more colourful (especially for breeding). Using UVB is simulating the effect of the sun, so even if they don't come out in it, I believe it helps promote natural behaviour.

3. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

That is what I have heard as well. I know there is a lot about it up in the air concerning nocturnal herps though. Thank you for the feedback.

4. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Some people think "they're nocturnal, I won't bother with lights at all". Which is fine in a brightly lit room, but otherwise (in my opinion LOL) those people need some testing done to see if they are fit to look after themselves.

5. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Lol, I agree. I provide daylights to my leo's even if they hide all day. It is natural to have a daytime, and I want to replicate that to the best of my ability. All of my reptiles and fish receive 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night. Sometimes I slack, but some more timers are in the works.

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

I was watching the heat lamp get turned on and off by the thermostat yesterday, and it occurred to me "that's just what it looks like when clouds go in front of the sun". So, if you're a bit late turning the lights on, it's just an overcast day.:)

7. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Lol, that works for me. They get pretty good light without the enclosure lights on, but then I feel bad that I didn't turn them on when I was supposed to.

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I would agree that there is no harm in offering it but it is not needed. I can also see how it can be beneficial in someways if not necessary. If you supply it I would follow the day/night cycle with it aswell.

For the nocturnal species making sure you supply hide spots that allow them to be in complete darkness. They light is probably invasive to good sleep. It bothers me and there is a reason they come out at night. Several good hiding spots should be available anyway.

I think most people slack on the light cycle until they get timers. I know I did.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would stay away from the desert bulbs, but a 5.0 could be beneficial and clearly won't do any damage.

10. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I don't slack on purpose, I just am a late sleeper. It happens. And trying to find a timer that will toggle day/night bulbs for a decent price is a pain in the butt. I may just have to go buy to cheep ones like I have for my fish tanks and try to sync them up. Oh well. I am going to try to get some UVB light for the other critters as well, thank you all.

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

BAH. You are thinking too hard. Get a pair of lamp timers from walmart. Set them both at the same time. Have the one get the day lamp to turn on at 7am, and at the same time, the night one turn off at 7am. And the opposite for the night. YOu can even space them 15 mins apart, just to be sure it doesn't get too hot or anything.

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Totally agree there, I got a pair for about $6 in Ikea and they work fine. Just plug them in and set the times.

13. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I have those cheap ones on my fish tanks, it took me a week or more to get them set to the right time. That is what I was hoping to avoid. But I think that may be the best thing I can do. Thank you guys.