This Disappears When Logged In

UVB light hoods

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by XBleed, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XBleed

XBleed Member

Quick question..

I'm in the process of yet another new cage for my Iguana. (more so for my convenience, as I have moved and would like an escape proof cage.)

Of course I need UVB lighting, and I currently do have it.
    My question is about a light fixture / hood for the long fluorecent type bulbs.

Pet stores sell them at like.. 35 - 40 bucks a pop, but I'm curious if a standard one will still work as long as I have a UVB bulb in it?

Will something like this suffice, or will I be forced to purchase a special kind of fixture?
    http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccdgaddjhjfdedjcgelceffdfgidgkj.0&MID=9876

Thanks guys,

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

So far as I know, standard flourescent fixtures work just fine, and I have been lucky enough to have a bunch of pet quality flourescent fixtures...but let me ask you....what kind of UVB bulbs are you using??? You would be better off getting a megaray www.reptileuv.com and get a dome fixture instead....

3. venus

venus Founding Member

The mega ray also is a basking light. That would definitely be worth the money vs spending on two different lights and a UVB fixture. I know alot of members here use them including myself and they are fantastic.

4. XBleed

XBleed Member

Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm using one of the fluorescent uvb bulbs that is coiled up to be the size of a standard light bulb along side her heating lamp.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That spiral bulb is basically useless for an animal the size of an iguana with high UVB needs. It is designed for small animals with very little UVB need.
    For a flourescent you will need 2 40 watt 4ft tubes. Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 or Iguanalight 5.0 are the old standby's. However these need to be placed within 8-12 inches of the basking area and generallly are suggested to be replaced every 6 months unless you have a UV meter to test them. Just because the bulb still lights doesn't meant it is stilll putting out UVB.
    However since you need to purchase new bulbs and fixtures anyways you would be better served with the mercury vapor bulbs. Not much more expensive but with a much longer bulb life and a lot more UVB that is projected a lot farther.

6. edge flyer

edge flyer Active Member

the megaray is the way to go

7. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

We use MegaRay bulbs for all our critters: Gil, my 4 year old iguana; Shasta and Spike, my brother's bearded dragons; Mom's three sulcata torts.

I highly recommend them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.