This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Inside the Tank

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Sandra75, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Elite Member

I'm planning on putting a UVB (RepitSun 10.0) on the inside of the tank, complete top part. My tank is 20" high

I am wondering if that is safe because I dont want to use a UVB on top of a mesh top since it filters UVs and lizard might not go close enough to it.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You can't really get too close to those tube bulbs. In fact, the basking area needs to be within 8" for it to do any good. By all means, mount it inside.

3. Sandra75

Sandra75 Elite Member

Great! I heard stories where some reptiles got some type of eye injury so I dont want to cause that.
    I bought a ExoTerra light unit for 2 fluorescent, since that will be the easiest way to mount the 2 fluorescents (UVB and the light) on the inside top.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Yea that should be fine. the UV flourescents don't get very hot. in fact they produce VERY little heat. so putting it inside the cage won't pose a burn hazard, and as far as i know there's no health issues associated with getting too close to the UVB bulbs... it's not like they can get too much (especially when you consider how much more intense regular sunlight is in terms of UV compared to man-made bulbs). I have heard eye damage is an issue, but I think that's only a concern if you're using a mercury-vapor bulb. tubes are pretty safe I think. They do say to put them less than 8" from the reptile which is pretty close so i'm sure if there was a minimum distance also it would be stated on the package as well...

5. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Compact florescent and black lights are also of concern for eye issues. Never heard anything bad about the tubes other than you have to change them out frequently(short life span on the UV emissions 9-12months).

Full Steam Ahead!

6. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

another good way to mount those is go spend 9 bucks at walmart on a under counter flourescent fixture and get the 3M command hooks and just stick them inside on the glass and tada u have it on and u can tak it off without even being able to tell it was there !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.