This Disappears When Logged In

UVB fixture problems

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by mad_professor99, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad_professor99

mad_professor99 Elite Member

Last night was the first night I put both Camille's basking lamp, and UVB tubes on timers...I set it up after she was all ready asleep, and the lights were off. This morning, I went in shortly after 8 AM when they should have been just coming on...the basking lamp came on, but the UVB didn't. I messed with it, and now have a fixture that won't turn on at all...tried it in tons of outlets all over the house, and nothing.

The tubes aren't even a whole 2 weeks old yet, so I doubt their burnt out or anything...One thing I thought of...both of the light are within 2 feet of the humidifier. Did it get too humid for the fixture? I don't know if that would make it shut off, or in my case, not even turn on.

And if that's the case, will the fixture dry itself over today if I leave it outside the room, or do I need to get another fixture? I hope it will dry out and go back to working fine. I'd hate to spend more money on another fixture...this weekend is costly for me all ready because of other things going on. Please reply and let me know if I need to just let it dry out, or if I should make a stop by Ace Hardware tonight after work to pick up another fixture.

For now, Camille is looking around wondering why there's only onew light on. Thanks for any advice/info you can give.

2. lola

lola Elite Member

i don't know...it seems odd, to me, if you have had the same fixture and bulbs on that same tank for two weeks and suddenly, after changing only one thing (timer) it would start going haywire.

do you still have the receipt for the bulb? maybe you could take it back and try a new one? or maybe you could go buy a new fixture and then return it if you discover it's not a fixture problem. (only spend the money momentarily?)

lola

3. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

how long is the fixture? you can get 4 foot shop fixtures from home depot for like a little over 10 bucks not sure what they have for 3 or 2 foot but you might try looking there instead of the petstore which will rape you for small cost items also if the fixture has those little starters that may be bad or missing or the balast may be gone not sure wat kind of fixture you have but i hope this helps out

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Try running your fingers along the bulb.I have one fixture that I have to do this every morning for it to come on.Not sure why--I haven't figured it out yet. :confused:

5. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

The UV tube fixtures should be water proof, and should be able to stand humidity, all mine are, mine get sprayed with water every day and they are fine, maybe you swiched something accidently or knocked the starter, hope you get it sorted, its a pain when something goes like that and you dont know what it is. :)

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, my fixtures have gotten wet before with no problems. When I have a fixture and a new bulb that stop working, I find its usually the starter on the fixture that's to blame.

7. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

it could be the timer if u didnt set it up right it wont work. thats how my timer was. i had to reset it by turning the light on normally then unplugging it, turning the timer knob twice around and then plugged the light in and set the times. now it works like a charm.

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

If they are older fixtures they probably have a starter ( a little round thing) and a toggle switch that needs to be held for 3-4 seconds before the light comes on. These will not work with timers (they will go off but not on). I still have a few like that and I let the timers turn them off and then just re-start them in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.