This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Fixture Mount Inside Enclosure Help

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by switchitup813, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Michele, do they not make full spectrum fluorescent bulbs? I believe he was looking for something that won't produce heat. Now I'm confused :confused:

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes, I thought the same thing, maybe they are changing things! but I could have sworn that they did??

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I thought I was the only one who gets confused, I`d like to welcome the rest of you to my club! ;)
    The OP wants a UVB emitting tube, he doesn`t need another non-heat producing light, just a basking spot builb, which in his case is heat and UVA only (unless I`m still confused)?

5. justor

justor Elite Member

I'm pretty sure the repti glo 2.0 is a full spectrum while the 5.0 and 10.0 are UVB. And I think it's the same with the zoo med reptisun. (probably why they changed the name of their 2.0 to "naturesun" to avoid this kind of confusion).

6. justor

justor Elite Member

No you are right, all he needs in addition to the UVB is a basking bulb. He did ask about A bulb to go on the cool side which would brighten the tank without adding any more heat though, but again you are right... It is not needed.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The 2-0 tube emitts a small ammount of UVB, it`s suitable for animals that don`t need the higher levels, or as supplementary lighting.
    EDIT : Just to add that a normal household fluorescent tube is good for additional illumination only, both cheaper and much longer lasting.

8. switchitup813

switchitup813 Elite Member

Lol why do all my threads lead to chaos! HaHa. Its my fault. I know another bulb isnt needed but I was just hoping to make the cage brighter on the cool side with out warming it up.

9. justor

justor Elite Member

Lol i'll take the blame on this one. I think i made it more confusing than it needed to be. :-"

I think you will find it plenty bright enough with just your basking bulb and UVB bulb. If you are using a 36" you can place it all the way to one side and the light from that plus the basking bulb should illuminate the entire enclosure.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, but I want to take the blame for the confusion ( I`m an expert at it, ask anyone)...

(Almost as good as Michele, though she`s too shy to admit it)... :-"

11. switchitup813

Lol. Well the cage comes with two socket fixtures for basking bulbs. I will just cover the other one with electrical tape or something. Thanks guys!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just to clarify. There are such things as "full spectrum" fluorescent bulbs. But they do not mimic the brightness of the sun, only the visible color rendition. You can find them in any hardware store or lighting supply as "daylight" bulbs.

13. switchitup813

Can you find a link so I can see an example. Do they produce any heat?

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

15. switchitup813

Thanks Merlin

16. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

go to walmart and get a 36' under cabnet light fixture and just use the UVB bulb we attached ours with a picture hanging command strip. very easy and works perfect