This Disappears When Logged In

UVB Fixture Mount Inside Enclosure Help

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by switchitup813, Apr 26, 2012.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

The size of your reptisun is probably "T8". It should say on the bulb. The fixture should also say the T size that it takes so just look for a fixture that says T8 or whatever size your bulb is.

bab5e3cb.jpg

Attached Files:

2. switchitup813

switchitup813 Elite Member

Thanks! I just looked and it is a T8. So any fixture i get that supports T8 will work correct?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, that sounds familiar, just look for the T8 fixture. Start a new thread and ask for the stores that sell fluorescent tube fixtures (housing), or just use your search engine for places nearest to you.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Yes, assuming of course it is the correct length. :)

5. switchitup813

lol. well a 36" t8 tube should fit into a 36" t8 fixture right?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If not, you can try bending it slightly...... (kidding, it doesn`t work, I`ve tried it soooo many times). ;)

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Yes that is correct.

8. switchitup813

LMAO!

Awesome Thank you

9. switchitup813

10. justor

justor Elite Member

Something like that would work just fine. A reflector isn't really necessary, but wouldn't hurt at all.

11. switchitup813

Thanks! Ya, I keep hearing that I need a reflector to concentrate the beam. But if I dont need one then that is better :)\

And where would the optimal place be in a 24" tall cage. In the center near the top?

12. switchitup813

Also, in the cage. There will be two heat fixtures. one on the left side and one on the right side. I am going to use the left for the heat bulb and the right I was hoping to have a bulb that brightened up the cage more but didnt produce heat. Is that possible?

13. justor

justor Elite Member

Your UVB tube should take care of your lighting needs. It produces UVA and visible light as well as UVB. If you wish to add supplemental lighting without heat I would go with a standard fluorescent "daylight" bulb. But again, your UVB tube should be sufficient.

The bulb should be mounted at the top of the enclosure. You will need to provide climbing facilities so that the dragon can get to within 8-12 inches of the bulbs surface for it to receive the beneficial UVB.

14. switchitup813

Thanks! I have a 40 watt house bulb that I use for my beardies basking spot right now. It maxes at 110 on the surface.
    Is that what you mean by a daylight bulb? Or are there bulbs similar with no heat?

15. justor

justor Elite Member

A daylight bulb looks and operates just like a UVB tube, but produces no UVB. They are formulated to mimic natural daylight in regards to brightness.

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you talking about a full spectrum light?

17. switchitup813

Hmm. Can you give me a link of an example?

18. justor

justor Elite Member

Yes "full spectrum" is what I'm talking about. That term is somewhat misleading though as they do not produce UVB (which is part of the light spectrum). It should say something about 4700K. What that means exactly I am not totally sure lol. Something about output or lumens or something. Maybe someone who knows more about the technical stuff can correct me.

Exo Terra : Repti Glo Compact 2.0, 5.0 & 10.0 / Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Those ones are compact fluorescents, but they also make them in linear style.

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you may all be talking about the colour temp, daylight is around 6,500K (kelvin), most (reptile) UVB tubes are much less than that, so are the MVB`s, it`s not necessary to have a 6,500k bulb in order to keep the lizard/s in good health.

20. justor

justor Elite Member

Thanks for clarifying that.

By the way switchitup in that link I posted it's the 2.0 bulb which is their "full spectrum". The 5.0 and 10.0 produce lower levels of visible light and considerably higher levels of ultraviolet light (refer to the charts on the page). Reptisun also has a 2.0 full spectrum bulb which they call the "naturesun".

I'm trying to post a link but from my iPhone it's a little tricky. Hold on.
    Okay let's see if this works: NatureSun