This Disappears When Logged In

UVB and Natural Sunlight

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by aromatherapykim, Apr 29, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Yay I've locked in an apartment. The cool thing is that it has a sun room! It's a nook with nearly floor to ceiling windows all around.
    I'm planning on keeping several of my tanks in there so my question is should I make any adjustments to my uvb if these guys will get sunlight as well?

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

UV rays do not pass through glass. So you will still need the uv bulbs for the reptiles that need it. Keep an eye on the room temp. With the sun pointing in the ambient temp may get to high.

3. aromatherapykim

That's what I needed to know! Yes my concern has been the temperature will get too high but they do have those black solar screens on the outside. I will be checking out the space and temperatures before moving any tanks in

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It may actually require air conditioning in the room. Sunrooms here get HOT in the afternoon!

5. jarich

jarich Elite Member

A little correction, glass filters out UVB but UVA still gets through, so it's great that you have the sunroom! If you have the money and are planning to stay awhile you could look into the type of plastic or glass that doesn't filter out UVB. It's pricey, so I doubt you'd want to replace more than a few pieces, but would be pretty great to have the option.

6. aromatherapykim

You're very right Merlin! I'm In Texas and I only imagine that it would get very hot in there but the apartment people swear it doesn't differ much at all. I will definitely be watching the temps closely before any tanks go in

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes but you have to keep in mind that "much" to humans and reptiles are 2 very different things. A 5-10 degree difference wouldn't be much to us at all. But to a reptile it can be life or death.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not to mention that an enclosed box with glass on one side is still basically a green house, and could easily be in danger or overheating even if the room doesn't. I could be wrong, but I would set up an empty cage and closley monitor room and cage temps until your sure of what will happen, before putting any animals in that area.