This Disappears When Logged In

Uvb and Diapers ?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by nicole, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Here is one I have never come across, lol. Oscar my sulcata, is now in the house pretty much for the rest of winter, so, for the next six months or so. I just hooked him up a new Mega Ray, now the question I have is, he wears Depends diapers. Do you think I should take them off and lock him in his room for a couple of hours throughout the day so he can bask under his lamp? I am not sure the uvb will penetrate through Depends, if I had to guess I would say no. He cannot free roam my house without diapers because he does gross disgusting things to inatimate objects in my house. He also traumatizes the kids, and myself, lol, when he drags around his "stuff". So the option of no diaper, is not an option. I know he will have a fit if he is not allowed to wander wherever he wants, whenever he wants.

So what is your opinion on the diaper and the uvb penetrating through it?

2. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

The question is, do when you absorb UVB, do you have to absorb it equally through your whole body, or if you collect it, say through your head, will your whole body benefit.

I never really thought about it until you brought it up. I always just assumed you can take in UVB with just part of your body and it would distribute throughout.

Honestly, I have no idea, but that's a really interesting question.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have no clue, since the diaper only covers half his body.

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would think that as long as the diaper isn't covering the majority of his body he should be ok. People wear clothes and are still able to absorb enough uvb to be able to produce the required Vit D... I don't think the UVB will penetrate the diaper, but it shouldn't be an issue.

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

hmmm, I never thought about it that way Typhanie, it looks like I will have a little research on my hands, lol.

6. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with Shell. Obviously no diaper is better, but somethings are better left covered! :eek:

Oscar gets plenty of natural sun in the summer, and I think he'll be fine. I know it's cold and snowy where you're at, but even 15 minutes outside (perhaps with his ninja turtle slippers and no diaper) once or twice a week would be ok.

7. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I have new ninja turtle slippers on order from ebay, funny that you mention that. His last pair got too small. I just need to find another set in his size, lol.

8. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

UV absorbtion is relative to skin surface. In Iguana care it's better to have the light over the entire body, than just one small spot.

But, he will still absorb UVB through the uncovered skin and I believe he will be fine.

As Steph said, he's gotten plenty of sunlight, so he's not suffering from under-exposure. Plus, in winter metabolism slows and they require a bit less anyway.

A turtle in a diaper, what a mental image. How about posting a picture of that Nicole?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And don't forget about the ninja turtle slippers!

10. Mr. Creature

Mr. Creature Active Member

Hahaha. A ninja turtle in diapers! I bet that is quite a site. Sounds like that is one loved tortise.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

[​IMG]

There is an older one of Oscar, lol.

12. fire2225ems

Can you manipulate it any so that more of his shell is exposed? Like maybe fold the top side back a little bit?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hmmm,.... roll the top back and rig it up with something like suspenders to help keep it in place?

14. schlegelbagel

Sulcata in suspenders! Priceless!

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I suppose I can try that and see how it works. I know that I have to have that much coverage on the underside though. If not , he will drag his stuff around, it is quite disgusting. Maybe I can cut a little of the diaper on the top and tape in different places.

I will try that later and let you know how that turns out. I am irritated with him right now though, lol. He decided it was time to wander for 2 hours at 2 A.M., so he kept me up a while, lol. Of course though, he is snoring under my feet as I type this, maybe I should be mean and wake him up, lol.

16. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Old age Mutant Ninja Tortoise, now we need a shield, Samurai sword and flying Stars to complete the outfit! (ps.,don't forget the Nun Chuks) Please, please post some pics!!!

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

And it's only just beginning, you've got atleast 6 months left of winter up here. I'll try to find you a tortoise soup recipe. :p

18. schlegelbagel

Maybe I'll mail her that herp cookbook.

19. nicole

nicole Elite Member

He always comes in at night, whether it was summer or not. He usually goes to his spot and is done for the night, but not last night. He was dragging around this three tier fruit basket thing I have in my kitchen. Of course he did that after he knocked all the fruit out of it and ate what he felt like eating, which was half of it. Ughh, what a mess that was, lol.

20. fire2225ems

At least he was feeding himself... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.