This Disappears When Logged In

UV Meters?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by h20dragon2010, Nov 15, 2011.

1. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

I decided I want to purchase a UV meter. The vet recommended one from reptileuv.com but I wanted to know if anyone else had any other suggestions or if this one is a good one. My vet has not used one, they just basically did research online to find one for me and that was it. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have a solarmeter and its great.

3. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Yea im looking for one too whats the best place to get one??

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Reptileuv.com is as good as any other place. The price is pretty much the same everywhere. If you are looking for used I would try ebay.

5. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Can I ask why you are getting one or why those of you with them have them?

6. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

buy the solarmeter on ebay, its new and $40 cheaper

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For myself its because I wanted to determine how, and IF, my UVB lights were working. It will also tell you exactly when to replace them as opposed to just tossing what may be a perfectly working bulb because it has reached its calendar expiration.
    That in itself will make the thing pay for itself.

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Yep..Yep and Yep!!!!

I second this!:)

9. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Im getting one so i can constantly check the output of my bulbs to ensure my animals are getting the proper rays

10. h20dragon2010

I agree. Same reason I have decided to get one. I was buying my merc vapor bulbs from Petsmart and they are number one stolen reptile bulbs there at my local store anyways, and you never know if you are getting a new bulb. I spoke to my vet about it and was told about the uv meter. I want to make sure my bulbs are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. I have also decided to start ordering the mega-ray bulbs as well. I just don't want to deal with the higher possibility of used bulbs. I will save the bulbs I have now just in case I have to ever send back the mega-rays so I have a back up for that short time. (As long as these are still good per the meter. If not, I will order back up bulbs as well so they never have to go without proper lighting.)

11. h20dragon2010

Thank you everyone for all of the help! I am going to be placing my order soon for the UV Meter and some new bulbs as well. :)

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I have noticed that there are 3 different UVB meters sold at Reptile uv, I wonder if the lower priced one is good since there is a huge price difference?
    Mega-Ray® & Reptile UV Products

13. h20dragon2010

I wasn't sure about that last one. The description sounded different to me. I decided that I would rather pay the $200. Guess it wouldn't hurt though to ask the company. I want to call them anyways to discuss the bulbs.

14. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

The reason I ask is because how do you know what the proper amount of uvb your animal needs? There is no way to know this without a lot of research.

Now if you are just going off of what a new bulb puts out and comparing to that number throughout the time you have the bulb, I understand.