This Disappears When Logged In

UTH

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by snickerthekingsnake, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snickerthekingsnake

snickerthekingsnake Active Member

Hi,

I will be getting a UTH for my 10 gallon tank. But since I will be moving my Rosy to a 20 gallon long in a couple of months I wondered if I could get a 20 gallon UTH and then when I get the 20 gallon just use it for the 20 gallon.

Thank you

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Most of the under tank heaters you find in pet stores are sold according to sizes of the tanks and they stick to the underside of the enclosure. Taking them off and reusing them can damage the heaters. You could either get the 20 gallon now and have it set up with the UTH already or alot of people on HC use the human heat pads to heat their tanks, that way you could move it easily between tanks. Just make sure you get the ones that don't automatically shut off. I don't have alot of experience using human heat pads so if you want to know more about those, I'd as in the General forums or someplace where more people would see it and be able to answer questions on human heat pads.

3. snickerthekingsnake

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

A UTH for a 20 gallon would be ok but I suggest you get a thermostat for it so it doesn't get to hot. Also instead of attaching it to the tank get a piece of plexiglass or glass and attach it to that and then put it under the tank (I use an old picture frame glass that I bought at a thrift store for $0.99). This way you can use it over and over with any tank you get.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Shwknight-- you beat me to the punch, I was going to say that (and of course give you the credit). I myself am going to try that out next time I have a cage to set up. Great info- thanks.

6. DarkMagician207

Does the heat go through both the extra piece of glass and the glass at the bottom of the enclosure?

7. snickerthekingsnake

I decided to buy 2 separate UTH's.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Yes the heat goes threw both the glass it's attached to and the glass of the tank (I'm sure the heat isn't as intense as it would be if it was attached to the tank but enough that it doesn't make a big difference ;))
    I have mine under the water dish and it stays nice and warm :)
    and when I clean the tank the glass where the UTH is is always nice and warm. I use indoor/outdoor carpet as a substrate so it doesn't stay real warm but I'm sure if you used anything else I'm sure it would stay warm.
    (by the way, I don't own a snake but a CWD and this is a temporary thing I did til I finish his big enclosure ;) But it seems to work well and thought I'd share with everyone :))

9. DarkMagician207

Pretty neat trick, just another thing that I never would have thought of. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.