This Disappears When Logged In

UTH Questions

Discussion in 'Heating' started by SMB13, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SMB13

SMB13 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I have two quick questions.

1. For my new enclosure, I'm going to purchase this UTH due to high regards it has been given.

Ultratherm Heat Pads 11 x 17 in. - Undertank Heaters - Heating - The Bean Farm

My question is this; does one side have an adhesive, or am I going to have to use some aluminum tape for it?

2. For a 6' enclosure, will the 11"x17" be appropriate for the hot spot? The enclosure will be heated by a radiant heat panel on the far right (that way the right side will be the warm side and the left side the cool side), and I was going to put the UTH on the right side as well to provide the basking spot. So would that size UTH be appropriate?

Thanks everyone!

2. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, I'm trying to figure out how to attach a heat mat to the bottom of the sterilite bin my BRB (arriving at the end of the month, if all goes as planned!) It's a Flukers one. Should it be taped to the bottom of the bin, with the thermostat probe wedged in between the uth and the bin? Will duct tape suffice for this? Or should the thermostat probe be inside the enclosure, above the heat pad, but under the substrate?

If I made a sort of pocket with aluminum foil under the bin and slid the heat mat in there, would that help project more heat upward and waste less of it going the other way (that is, uselessly into the table)?

3. redtailfanatic88

redtailfanatic88 New Member

every UTH i have got has a sticky side IDK about that one you are getting.

I would put the probe inside the enclosure under the substrate that is where the temp your snake is going to be feeling is. If you put it outside the tank it wont be as warm in the encloser as outside where the probe will be.

The aluminum foil sounds like a good idea I dont see why that wouldnt work let me know if you notice a dif.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member