This Disappears When Logged In

UTH Question

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by snickerthekingsnake, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snickerthekingsnake

snickerthekingsnake Active Member

I have never actually had a UTH with the Leopard geckos that I keep. I use all lamps. So I wondered how a UTH worked. Does it have a thermometer built in with it so you can tell the temperature that it is or do you need a regular thermometer? Also about how much does a 10 gallon UTH cost?

Thank you

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Cost varies but there not to bad, I think I payed around $30 for my 40-60 gal UTH. No, they don't have a built in thermostat you would need to buy one (I'll try to find you a link to the one most people use). Most Leo owners love them as Leo's need belly heat to help digest.

Found it (thanks Shell for having it posted where a computer illiterate could find it:D)

Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R
    This is what most use. I use it on my CHE and it works great.

3. snickerthekingsnake

4. snickerthekingsnake

Do you set the UTH to a desired temperature? Also do you need a certain kind of thermometer or can it be any kind of thermometer? I have thermometers with probes attached to a wire. The probe goes into the tank to tell the temp and then it appears on the screen out side of the tank. Will it work?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes. A good digital is all that you need to check the temp. You plug your heating device into the thermostat and set the temperature on the thermostat and you are ready to go.

6. snickerthekingsnake

About how much do thermostats cost?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It depends on where you get them. They are cheaper online than at the pet store.
    The ZooMed 500Rs will run you about $29 dollars online and I have seen them for $50 at the local shops.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I think I payed $30 for mine at a pet store in my area.

Do a little research...look at them online and find out how much they are with the shipping included, then go to your local pet store and see how much they are there. Buy from wherever is cheaper :)

9. snickerthekingsnake

Thank you guys I will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.