This Disappears When Logged In

UTH Pad Size

Discussion in 'Heating' started by pjrojo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

I’m moving each one of my corn snakes into new 36x18x18 enclosures this weekend. Their only heat source will be an UTH pad, I’m not going to use any type of heat producing light/bulb. I can’t think of what size pad I should use for their enclosures for heating. I’m thinking about a 16watt or should I use a 24 watt. Thoughts….

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not extremely versed on snake care. But make sure not to provide a warm and cool side.
    Usually the manufacturers provide recommendations for their products on their websites.

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You want your pad to be on 1/3 of the tank. Does that help? If done that way creates a great temp gradient for them. The only thing I have problems with is it getting too hot. Yesterday I noticed my burm on cool side all day. I got the temp gun out and it was 110 degrees on hot side! My suggestion would be to hook them up to a proportional thermostat that way you could control heat.

4. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Under Tank Heaters should always be controlled by some kind of thermostat. They are not really meant to be plugged strait into the wall.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I knew that too. That's what's funny. I just figured its only for a little while until the permanent house is built. Funny thing was I unplugged it then plugged it back in. It is right temp again. 85 degrees.

6. pjrojo

I have thermostats for all my snake enclosures to control the heat but since I'm moving away from heat producing lights/bulbs I was wondering if I should a bigger UTH. If I'm not getting enough heat I'll slap a UTH on the side

7. pjrojo

Thanks for y'alls input it helps a lot running things through the forum

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

No. 1/3 the size should be plenty. Uth work better than my lights.

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Big fan of the UTHs! Save lots of energy too :) Now that it's getting warm they don't even stay on a good part of the day