This Disappears When Logged In

UTH -- can they be re-stuck

Discussion in 'Heating' started by ajvw, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I received a 20 long tank to use for my soon-to-be-loved (well, already-loved, but soon-to-arrive) cornsnake. (Actually, I made a great trade with Savannah, and unloaded the two huge 55-gal tanks I got from Freecycle and tricked her into giving me the more manageable 20-gal. Man, and she fell for it!)

The tank I got came with a UTH, but it was in the center and I want it on one end so I can establish a temperature gradient. So I unstuck it and moved it, and of course it's not sticking again. Which I kinda expected, but I figured what the heck.

Sooo... Can I restick it with a hot glue gun or some other adhesive, or is that a bad idea? I'm experimenting with just laying it under the tank to see how that goes (I have a thermometer in there to see if it is still warm enough), and my other idea is to put a thin piece of cardboard under it, and glue the edges of the cardboard to the glass all around the UTH (so the UTH itself wouldn't be glued, but the cardboard would keep it pressed against the bottom of the tank).

Does anybody have any experience with this? Advice?

Also, when I moved the UTH, that left a small hole in the bottom of the tank open (it's the kind with a hole in the center of the glass bottom, on purpose). I don't have a plug for it, and I was thinking of how to remedy this. My idea is to cut a wine cork to fit very snugly. Does this sound OK? Any better ideas?

Thanks!!

2. huhwhat

huhwhat Established Member

For the hole, I would fill it with aquarium sealer. As far as the uth. What I do is buy a ceramic tile about the same size as the uth. I set the ceramic tile on the surface, set the uth on top of the tile, then set the tank in place over both the uth and the tile. Of course, the tile does have to fit completely under the tank. That does two things. It keeps the uth in contact with the glass, and it protects the surface of whatever the tank sits on from the UTH. If you have the uth hooked to a thermostat, it also acts as a big heat sink, evening out the temperature swings. I would not use cardboard. I think it would be a fire hazard.

3. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

EXCELLENT idea on the tile! Thanks! I knew I was keeping all those extra tiles from our new floor for some reason (besides the off chance that one of the kids could drop a bowling ball in the kitchen).

On aquarium sealer -- is that like silicone that comes in a tube? Because this hole is like 3/4 of an inch in diameter... I have a cork in there very tight right now, but if there's something better, I'd certainly switch.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Haha...yes Im am idiot!! What was I thinking :p Oh wait...I remember now..that my male suri is nearly paid off and I need a 55 gal for him..and one for Ken! :D Thanks for the great trade amy!

5. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

You're welcome, Savannah! It worked out really well for me!

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You could put the cork in it and then seal it in ;)

I've also done the whole tile under the tank with the UTH thing and I havent had a problem, I really like it because I am free to move it around!

7. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Excuse me, but did you just tell me to "stick a cork in it"?! ;)

I am trying the tile thing now. Temp got up to 93F, so I'm now trying to see if it gets a little lower with a tile on top of the UTH on the inside. Extra tiles are oh, so handy!

8. huhwhat

Aquarium sealer is silicone that comes in a tube. Whatever you use, make sure it says "safe for aquariums". That way you know it won't have any nasty chemical additives that will poison your herps. If it does not specifically say "safe for aquariums", don't chance it. Most of the large chain petstores, like Petsmart, should carry actual aquarium sealer. Clean the area around the inside and outside of the hole with alcohol. Take a piece of duct tape, and slap it across the hole on the outside of the tank. That acts as a backer. Then carefully, gently, fill the hole with aquarium sealer, making sure to overlap the edges of the hole by at least a half an inch all around. Once the sealer is dry (usually 24 hours), carefully peel off the duct tape. You will be left with a water-tight plug in the hole. If the hole is on the bottom of the tank, and the duct tape won't show, or come in contact with the uth, you can just leave it in place. It won't hurt anything.

9. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining how to do it. If I get some sealer tomorrow, it will be all set for our snake when s/he arrives. Thanks!

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The simplest thing is just get a small peice of plastic and glue it over the hole!

11. huhwhat

Which pretty much still means buying sealer.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You could use basically any glue that would hold securely as long as you let it cure properly.
    Even Super Glue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.