This Disappears When Logged In

Using Spray Foam to Fill in Aquarium Items to Use in Terrarium

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by mayhmmaydn, Jul 7, 2013.

1. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I have this centerpiece for my old cichlid tank. It looked like old driftwood that was hollow for the fish to hide in or swim in and out it. It came to me that it might make a good climbing piece for baby dragons to bask on. Since its got hollows in it that could make them get caught or hurt. SO... think I could fill it in with that spray foam in a can that we use for decorations and then seal those spots and use it for a basking platform? It has lots of texture and I thought about scratching it up a little more or adding something to it to make it easier for them to climb on. 1f14d864-21b7-4919-b03b-2a5670c444fa.jpg

Attached Files:

2. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

I filled my aquarium pieces to avoid bugs hiding out in them. Once you spray the foam in, put it somewhere where it will have close to the same temp as the terrarium and let it sit for about three days to fully cure. Cut back any excess. You can then silicone or hot glue to seal it. Silicone will require an extra day to cure. FYI, if you don't put it in an area to match the temp, you might end up with a largely expanded piece once it goes in the actual environment - I learned that the hard way. And remember to fill with less foam than you think you'll need, because it does expand quite a bit.

3. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Thank you for your input. I put it in a tank with the light over it to see how hot it got. Didn't want any burned bellies. It did not seem to absorb anymore heat than say wood does. I might just try that foam to seal the entrances. I don't want bugs or babies getting stuck in them! icky. HOpe youre having a great weekend. May

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Definitely place it somewhere the foam will expand in a similar temp. I learned the hard way a couple years back when i filled in a fish tank decoration and when the foam expanded to the tank temp, it actually caused the decor to crack. Talk about being surprised! lol

Also, be careful about hot glue. If it will be a piece to be kept under the basking spot, the glue could heat up enough to become sticky again and that could harm the babies.

5. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Good point! I had a dress that the shoulder strap broke.. I was in a hurry and hot glued it... well it was low temp glue and imagine the surprise on their faces when yah... wardrobe malfunction under the hot summer Arizona sun... at a park... in front of a group of people... yah..... bad times. lol thanks for reminding me to pick up high temp!