This Disappears When Logged In

Using Real Tree Branches?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by autograf323, Feb 4, 2010.

1. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

I wanted to know if you can use real tree branches in my enclosure. If you can is there any way that it should be done. I have heard that some people put the pieces in the oven.

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Yes, putting logs from outside in the oven to a 300+ degrees for 10-15 minutes should kill anything lurking in or around the log. It is generally okay to use materials from outside like logs and rocks aslong as they are steralized in a way mentioned above.

3. Ace

Ace Elite Member

You can also soak in diluted bleach and then air dry.

4. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

I think u can boil too... thats what i felt safer to do

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

All good ideas, but, for the baking, rinse branch well in warm water and go with 300 for 30-45 minutes (thats what I did with my small branches). Boiling you would need a big pot and only very small branches would fit (although I do boil my river rocks). Bleach should be a 1-10 bleach/water dilution and rinsed until you don't smell any bleach and then air dried. For really big branches you can use a spare bathrooms tub and soak in the diluted bleach solution over night, then drain tub and fill with clean water and soak for a couple hours and then drain and refill tub, continue until you don't smell bleach and let dry (very long process but really the only way I know of to do large branches, at least the size of branch that an adult CWD would be using)

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'll just throw my 2 cents in.
    I've been using branches for over 20 years and never had any issues.
    It's really just lack of proper information that causes people to think they need to "sterilize" branches.
    I need to find the papers I read a few years back on parasites and their species specific hosts.
    There are actually good "bugs" you can introduce into your enclosure that are of benefit.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I never sterilized branches for my RETF tank, and never had a problem.

8. kriminaal

Really all that's required is a visual inspection and carve out any areas that seem questionable.
    If the piece is that porous that you can't tell visually, pick another piece.
    Bleach is not as easy as it seems to rinse off of wood. It's very toxic and not a good idea in my opinion to be putting in an enclosure.

9. schlegelbagel

I found a recently fallen tree and cut branches. That way there was no dead wood and little crevices for things to be in. I scrubbed them with hot water and let dry a few days.

10. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

It's like when a baby's pacifier hits the ground. The new parent will scrub it like there is no tomorrow. When you are on the second and third kid you just brush the pacifier on your pant leg and pop it back in. lol

11. kriminaal

There are some more fragile species I suppose that should have more care taken.
    Water Dragons are not in that category though.
    But again, submerging in water would bring most anything.
    Much safer that introducing harsh chemicals.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Large branches I just give a good scrubbing with a stiff brush and hot water. Anything in the way of borers that live inside the wood would not be reached by the bleach water anyway. In the warmth of the cage they may activate and come out of the wood but they are harmless, however annoying, and they will not live long.

13. schlegelbagel

HA, My mother in law will rinse Emily's pacifier off in the sink every time it hits the floor. I don't have time for that ;)

14. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

My iguanas and snakes all enjoy their "natural" habitats which include branches. I just inspect the branches and make sure that, in particular, they have not been sprayed with any insecticides. i make sure of this by using my own tree branches and not someone else's.
    I also use driftwood, but then all it takes for me to get some lovely pieces of that is a quick three mile trip to the nearest beach.

Jamaica - no problem - sometimes.

15. jdizine

jdizine Member

I had a real good chuckle on this reply!! So, I guess I will just bake the wood in my situation. LOL
    Thanks for this question being asked, it was real easy to search the answer.