This Disappears When Logged In

USARK & Reptile Nation Save 5 of 9 Species from FWS Constrictor Rule

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Rich, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This morning a joint press conference was held by Senator Bill Nelson of Florida, Interior Dept Director, Ken Salazar; and US Fish & Wildlife Service Director Dan Ashe at Everglades National Park (ENP) to make an Everglades conservation and preservation announcement. It was made public that a final rule would be enacted by FWS potentially restricting trade in 9 constricting snakes. Although there had been no word from FWS or White House oversight officials prior to the press conference, Andrew Wyatt CEO USARK, learned of a “rumor” on the “HILL” that there would be an announcement regarding the Constrictor Listing; a listing of 9 constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. This is an action that could destroy $104 million per year in small business while potentially making more than 1 million Americans into Lacey Act felons. This action has now come to pass; albeit in a more limited fashion than was pushed by FWS and the powerful environmental and animal rights lobby.

As of now the Constrictor Rule, when enacted, will BAN the IMPORT and INTERSTATE TRANSPORT of the following 4 species: Burmese Python, Northern African Python, Southern African Python and Yellow Anaconda.

USARK will be making further announcements regarding potential legal remedy to the flagrant disregard for “science”, due process, or information quality standards by FWS and the Obama Administration. This is a clear example of policy being based on staff preference combined with political considerations, rather than clear science and due process. The FWS failed at every level to make a solid case for justifying a Lacey Act listing. How the White House can justify this train wreck of a rule to pass is a mystery. In the opinion of USARK the actions of FWS are arbitrary, capricious and unlawful. That is not a charge that is unfamiliar to FWS. In 2010 FWS scientists were found guilty of falsifying information to manufacture science to support a rule on the Delta Smelt in the Central Valley of California. FWS was found guilty of being “arbitrary, capricious and unlawful" in their effort to add the controversial fish to the Endangered Species Act. USARK will pursue available legal remedy to this travesty of justice and blatant misuse of the Lacey Act. The Lacey Act was the wrong tool for the wrong reason.

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

While this is better than the whole nine species, it's still sad. What do they think this is going to solve?

I sent one of the letters to my representatives and received a printed letter from Jack Kingston. I tried to attach the file, but couldn't due to it's size. It's a PDF. He did say, however, that he realized the damage that this could have on the reptile industry. He also mentioned that he is an avid snake lover. How true that is, who knows. Over all, he seemed to be for us, rather than against us. He seemed to care about the small businesses that are involved with these animals.

3. Rich

This is just a stepping stone Bill Nelson still wants the other 5 species and is still lobbying to have them added. This is not good news by any standard. I guarantee that there are people who read this post who did absolutely nothing because it cut into their precious time. They couldn't take the 3 minute to help voice their concerns. It sickens me how many people didn't at least make an effort. The 4 species currently earmarked only touch a small percentage of our industry. The next 5 will be the real slap. Boa constrictors are on the list. I know it will affect me and many others. Hopefully some of you will wake up and act next time when called for help. I feel sorry for those who own the 4 banned species. I wonder how this is going to play out. Those of you who didn't take the 3 minutes, thanks for absolutely nothing.

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The people who did nothing made this even more heartbreaking than those who did as much as they could. So many calls, letters, emails... Meanwhile irresponsible keepers are getting caught selling burms and venomous snakes to kids and the media is using every inch they get to make us look bad. It's light fighting a losing battle with your hands tied behind your back. Ugh, what a disappointment that even with everything that we did do... :(

I'm not letting anything happen to my Nagini. What happens in my life with my pet has no affect on the everglades, nor does it put ANYONE in danger. Maybe now that it really happened people will realize that this isn't a joke, and bans CAN happen. :(((

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

One step closer to a dictatorship. Though I admit surprise that The yellow, rather than Green anaconda was chosen to be banned. I though greens were bigger, and big=bad seems to be what they are about.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, it doesn't matter if you own these kinds of snakes or not. If you own snakes at all, your snakes are next if we let them win this. I don't think they would stop at snakes either!

I wish Bill Nelson would play with a hungry adult female reticulated python.

6. purplemuffin

I think what I have read has told me yellows are from a cooler environment and thus more likely to "take over america" basically.

7. Rich

The greens will be in the next ban, rest assured. I don't think people realize the impact this has on some. While ownership of these snakes is far less than those of boas, ball pythons, etc., these are peoples pets and some people just lost their job as a result of this bill. people breed these snakes so others can own them. They can't do that legally right now. I wish I could smack the stupid out of each person who did nothing to try and stop this. There is power in numbers and this is so much truer when dealing with politicians. Politicians NEED your support to stay in office. If they are inundated with emails, letters and phone calls opposing something they are voting on, they are going to really have to think on it. They want to keep their position. If enough people are heard they know that those voters won't be voting for them in the next election and that is where our strength in. All of you who decided to not spend the 3 minutes to hit send on pre-filled out forms should be ashamed of yourselves. I hope you are disgusted with what you see in the mirror because your lack of support cost someone their livelihood today and many people their pets. I just hope you wake up from your self-induced comas and start seeing what is going on. Together we CAN make a difference through simple opposition. You can't expect the next guy/gal to carry the load. Look how that turned out!

8. purplemuffin

Yes, I'm thinking of my friends who have recently had multiple clutches of 50 eggs or more from burms---Now what will they do? The people who have hundreds of baby burms and now can't give them a home?

My question is--what now? Do we still call and email? How do we find out WHO voted for it, should I tell them they have lost my vote?

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Can they sell the offspring to individuals in state?

10. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I think you can sell them in state maybe jist not ship over state lines?

11. justor

justor Elite Member

Still... getting rid of 50 burms is going to be a challange when you're limited to customers within your own state.

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats a lot of eggs!

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Never ceases to amaze me how stupid humans can be. Never mind the incredible ignorance and prejudice behind this, how the **** do they think they will be able to enforce this? How will they prove someone didn't buy the animal they have in the state they are in? All they have accomplished is to make thousands of hard working Americans criminals, some of whom will no longer have jobs. I could MAYBE understand a ban or limitation on the import end of things, but even that isn't needed. Sounds a bit similar to what the FAA is trying to do with my radio control aircraft hobby. Like I have been saying for a while, "I love my country, but fear my government."

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I was only asking because I wasn't completely clear on that. I don't understand how someone would sell 50 eggs if they weren't limited to their state. That's a lot of eggs!

15. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Probably be able to sell them in the state like evozakira said hopefully. I know here in New York we cant own the big constrictors unless you own a pet shop. My buddy owns two crocs and a burm.,but they have to stay in his shop.

16. Rich

We will have to wait and see how it pans out and what the law is actually worded as saying. I am guessing they may introduce a permit system for those who already have them and if you are a breeder you "may" be able to sell in state but that alone would completely defeat the purpose since people could still buy them. Until a copy of the law is located and passed around we are only speculating.

17. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

This is just terrible! I dont really have much else to say....

18. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Does this constrictor ban have an official name? I'm doing a research paper on the dangers of this ban and need the bill's official name.

19. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

20. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Signed it.