This Disappears When Logged In

US HR 669! Act Now!

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by MoogleBass, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

First of all, I believe these organizations who are fighting this bill are exaggerating the info they put on their sites to scare people into calling their representatives.

I found some info on this site which is relatively neutral. It details the entire bill.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h669/text

The bill would ban importation of SOME species and also from driving them across state lines. You can also get a permit for those animals for "Aquarium display purposes".

I really believe this bill is going to die anyway. Even if it passes the house, It will still need to be passed by the senate and signed by the president. I think their plate is full of more important things right now.

2. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Section 14, paragraph 5, subparagraph D states:
    "does not include any cat (Felis catus), cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris), donkey or *** (Equus asinus), domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus), horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama), mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated."

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Because a lot of us stand on a different side of the fence than you do. It is not that we want to see anymore people lose their job, their has been enough of that already. I do not think there is one person on here who has not had the effect of the economy. I own a construction company, that should tell it all for you, lol. I have had to lay people off and it just bites! It is not anything I am the slightest bit happy or impressed about.

However on a different note I run a rescue as you know. Many of us have been screaming and begging for years to have something done about all this suffering, at the hands of humans. It just has to stop.

However this is not the way it is going to happen, I am aware of that, as is a lot of others. We just want to see some stricter regulations and laws for the abuse and neglect of these animals. that is why we are talking regulations and permits. That is what we want to see happen in our perfect little world. However, this is not our perfect little world, and this is not the answer that will solve anything.

I respect your opinion and views on this, however we just come from different sides of the fence about this.

I do not want this to pass, but when it does not, I also dont want to see the efforts to make some stricter laws and regulations brushed under the table, and forgotten completely about.

It is almost like someone did listen to us complain and then decided to take it to the SERIOUS EXTREME.

I still feel in the end whether this passes or not, noone will win anything.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Hey Og, on the link you gave did you notice who was proposing this bill. MR Klein and Mr Abercrombie. Those could not be the same person as Calvin Klein and Abercrombie and Fitch could it? LOL. That just about made me spit my tea out. Very interesting. I figured I would see the ASPCA and Peta or something behind that one, well I was wrong, lol.

5. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

I've already sent an email to my representative, I don't think it will pass, but everything helps.

6. The_Boaphile

The_Boaphile New Member

Multiply Your Influence on HR669

You Tube links apparently do not work on this site. I'm not sure how to make the links work here Perhaps someone who knows can edit my post Thank you.

Every single Herper needs to send in 22 letters to the 22 members of the sub committee about to have a hearing regarding the future of our industry. This is the very least you can do!

I put together a little video explaining an easy way to print the letters that does not involve cut and paste or any technical computer savvy for the least geeky of computer users. I put the file together for you. All you have to do is print it. Anyone can do this. In fact, even if you do not have a printer, you can do this! Click and watch this video to see how you too can make a contribution to this cause:

*************************/watch?v=LTB0fns39Ko

Now. Every one of us can have a much larger role in helping with this effort! I have uploaded a video here that explains it all. No typing except a short email. You too can make a HUGE difference sending in hundreds of signed letter like I am going to do. Watch this video:

*************************/watch?v=KZ5g51jlasQ

And finally, I have a little video for you Herpers who have done nothing and have no intention of doing anything. This one is for you:

*************************/watch?v=B74ZulFJvhk

Thank you,

Jeff Ronne
    The Boaphile

7. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

I dno about your countries, but here in aus we are only allowed native species as pets, I believe in this because it prevents captive, non-native animal destroying the natural environment if lost. I know a lot of people are against this but still, I believe it's a wonderful idea! Plus over here we have some spectacular animals so I guess it would work here.

Just my 2cents

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

We have spectacular animals here too! I guess it's in the eye of the beholder! But you know us americans, we're always looking for something bigger, better, more powerful!
    And of course we have a God given right to everything that pleases our eyes!

9. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Haha well we aussies would love chameleons and leo's too but our laws are strict, people caught with illegal animals are fined massive amounts of money like $10,000 per animal or something like that.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

things just become mundane when they are around too often. I can't go out in my backyard and see a bearded dragon, therefore, they are exotic, new, and uncommon. Something to be desired.

So while the snapping turtles here might not excite me, they might seem very exciting to you guys because they don't live there. I feel the same way about saltwater crocs.

11. wai y chan

wai y chan New Member

This will harm responsible pet owners and the pet industy. I hope that this doesn't pass. So write to your legislators and tell all your friend sto do this, NOW!!!!!!!!

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I believe there is a chance that it may pass in the house of representatives. But, It will die in the senate. Democrats have a much smaller lead in the senate and they are the ones pushing this bill!

13. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

I did my part with the written mailed letters and the email and passed it on to friends and such.

Non native? You mean we can start keeping wildlife (the only native animals) as pets? Thats real illegal here so I guess if this passed only dogs, cats and rabbits would be it. (farm animals) Think about that one.

Then why do they allow horses? They're not native to here and they have had trouble with the wild ones. How about people? The only ones that were here is Native Americans. That said it means people are imports. And look at the mess we've caused the country.

Linda

14. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

The bill would not ban ALL non native species!
    The idea is to keep out foreign species that would displace native species.

I don't agree with everything in this bill, But there is no one else proposing anything better!:(
    I've said my peace. I will say no more. I have other issues to worry about.

Y'all have at it!

15. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

IT has been stopped!

For all 49,229 letters written in. Tonight we dine in.... Wait i keep getting off track. lol

16. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I would like to read the actual bill but when I tried the link on the original posting it would not open. Could be my wonderful Vista operating system. I was able to read many propoganda links, but, alas, they were propoganda-one sided and biased. Ahh, MoogleBass, you and I have danced this dance before. Please send me a link to my home email, which if it is within policy, I absolutely give Rich the permission, or any other adminstrator with access, to give you. I would love to read the actual writing of the proposed law. Again, I have an entirely different perspective as I watch native species being wiped out due to exotics. Daily. I reserve any opinion until I get to read the writing of the bill.

17. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Her's the link,
    OpenCongress - Text of H.R.669 as Introduced in House Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act

18. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Well, I am actually with you on this one. It seems way too restrictive. The sponsor is from Guam so I understand her intentions. I'm not impressed with the political record of either of the Florida clown representatives. I think there needs to be more balance between the regulations against breeders/sellers and responsible owners. Unfortunately, there are too few responsible owners. I will do my part to fuss. I think it's safe to assume that I am a good fusser. I'll start with my two home-grown clowns, Alcee Hastings and Lincoln Diaz-Balart.

19. musicman

musicman Member

Perhaps we should ban all united states citizens. After all none of us are indiginous due to our heritage except for the native americans. And while we are doing that maybe we should get rid of all homo-sapians, after all we are the only species that inflicts harm simply because we can. This is a 10th ammendment issue and need s to be settled by each state, general catch all legislation never serves a benificial purpose. Stop this madness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.