This Disappears When Logged In

Urgent - Please Help with Rescued Beardie - She's Close to Death

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Kylie, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Kylie

Kylie Member

I bought a very sick bearded dragon from my local reptile store today. Someone took her to the store & said they found her near their home. She has obviously been living on the streets for quite awhile. She is severely dehydrated, stick-thin & can barely open her eyes or move at all. We have no idea of her history whatsoever....

I've given her 3 x 30 minutes baths in lukewarm water already. She pooped in the bath & it looked ok. The pet store gave her roaches 2 days ago. When I offered her a drink she stuck her head in the bowl & drank so much water. I didn't let her drink all at once, I spaced her drinks out & gave her sufficient time for swallowing the water properly. I've given her a boost of multi vitamins & minerals. She will be housed in my 2ft enclosure (until she gets better) & the temps are already going properly - 41c basking, 32c air temp on hot side & 24c on cool side.

Right now she seems bloated like a balloon, mainly with air from what I can tell. I have her laying on my bare chest to try to warm her up enough. She also has a towel around her back. It's just after midnight here & there aren't any vets open. She is barely moving & I'm terrified of losing her.

Does anyone have any advice that could help me save this little girl tonight please? I can't let her die.

Photo's to come shortly....

Attached Files:

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

she looks as though she is puffing herself up,probably due to the stress, put her in the enclosure and let her bask,she will get much more warmth from her lighting. provide her with a nice salad and uvb lighting, crickets or roaches etc.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Kylie, I agree with missabrat, don`t handle, leave the dragon in the tank, keep the temps up 24/7 for now, so long as there are dark hiding places... Nothing else you can do, other than making sure there`s water available (let the lizard decide how much it wants). you can offer food too (I hope it`s not too late).

Why do you have these things happening in the middle of the night, other than you hate going to sleep?? ;)

4. Kylie

Kylie Member

Stefan - as an ex-Aussie, you should know that if these things happened to me in the middle of the day 'd be up the creek without a paddle. If you really were a good friend, you'd change your day's & night's around so then I could sleep like a normal person & if I ever have a catastrophe during the day, you'd be on call to help.... But oh no, your too selfish. You gotta sleep in the night time huh?! So very self-absorbed Stefan... It's all about you :p

To everyone else - I'm only this mean to Stefan but I assure you, he deserves it. Terrible person he is... I'm nice to everyone else ;)

Thanks guys, I'll take your advice & keep my fingers crossed. Though I'm pretty cranky with my brand new 2ft enclosure - one of the globe fittings blew just a few minutes after being turned on. Luckily it didn't take the uvb globe with it. Not happy Jan... Thank God my bf is an electrician....

Oh btw, the shop where I got the beardie from charged me $75 (they gave me $10 off) for her. They had her for 6 days & gave her absolutely no medical care or extra TLC during that time at all. I used to swear by that shop but I am so angry with them. I saw her in Wednesday & she was nowhere near as sick as she is now. How can they live with themselves???

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Kylie, do you understand about keeping the ambient temps up to approx 32c, even on the cool side, day and night? You may need to rearrange the bulbs. Can you please show a photo of the enclosure?

6. Kylie

Kylie Member

Stefan the only globe in there at the moment is the heat globe. The other fitting blew a few minutes after I started using it. t didn't blow the uvb globe thankfully but the fitting is out of order until my bf wakes up tomorrow. Will the red heat globe be ok on it's on for another 6 hours? The uvb will be on as soon as we change the fitting tomorrwo....

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes the infrared is fine, just so long as the temps are around 32c (90f) through the night...(Make sure there`s a cooler hiding place).

8. bradders

bradders Member

hi kylie you should use a ceramic bulb at night as bearded daragons can get irritated by'' red lights''. also allow the night time tempature to drop as this occures in a beardies natural enviorment.

Hope the beardie is doin ok now

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just thought I would check in and see how your little gal is doing!

10. Iggysdaddy

Iggysdaddy Elite Member

did she get any better?

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The dragon did drink, and looked a little better the next day, Kylie was taking the animal to a vet, but I haven`t heard from her since.
    By the way, as this was wild caught, it`s illegal for the petshop to have sold the lizard, and Kylie will need a license to keep it. It`s most probably a Pogona barbata, which do come from the area Kylie`s living in....

12. mld

That crazy that they sold her a wild caught Bearded Dragon! In my book (Bearded Dragons A complete guide to Pogona vitticeps) is says
    Hopefully the little one is ok!

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It was in a bad way Michele, but they can bounce back quite quickly, once they have the proper conditions (if there`s no serious health problems).
    I know Kylie cares very much about her pets, so the dragon`s in good hands (for now)!
    She stayed up literally ALL night the other week, trying to rescue a baby possum from her roof, unfortunately, it died from the injuries later in the day (a cat attack)...

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I hope Kylie will be visiting here soon, I will just say the Dragon`s still alive! :)

15. Kylie

Kylie Member

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been online for a few weeks, a nasty person from another forum turned me off for awhile. I am very pleased to say that Kaya (my little rescue) is doing really well. She's put on 23g since I've had her & runs to me whenever I call her. She also runs to me when she is scared which is just beautiful. She had worms & has since been treated for them. I introduced her to my other 2 the other night & my alpha female, the big bully is terrified but the other one just loves her, it's so cute.

It will take her awhile to fully settle in though because I'm pretty sure she's always been a wild dragon. There are times when she hisses at me but I don't mind, I'd do the same if I was her! I'm on my phone right now so I can't upload photos right now but I will do as soon as I get onto my computer.

Thanks for your concern, it's really nice to have people truly care about her rather than lecturing me. I really appreciate it.

16. mld

Glad to hear that she is doing well and putting on weight! :D

17. Kylie

Kylie Member

Thanks again for your support, the people here are the best :)

18. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Sorry to hear about that nasty person on the other forum... I can't stand people liek that. I hope your beardie get's better!