This Disappears When Logged In

urgent humidifier Q!

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by furryscaly, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Hello everyone. I've had some pretty bad luck with the mister I bought at the pet store a few months ago, and I remember reading on here that houshold humidifiers work better. I read that you can just buy one and attach some PVC pipe to it and use it for herps. Well, I went to Kmart today to look at humidifiers, but I can't figure out how you're supposed to attach the PVC to the humidifier. Its obviously not meant for that, so cansomeone enlighten me? lol, I need help!

2. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Ask and you shall receive! =)
    Take a look at this and if that doesn't help, try this

Don't forget that Exo-Terra's Fogger costs around $20.

Before buying anything, have a look at the specs. Some are warm and some are cool mist.

3. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Amazingly enough yes I do. I bought a Holmes model 485 on ebay for less than $18 delivered to my door. The humidifier has a directional port that you remove. A 2in reducing fitting one size down gets siliconed to the tank. A second 2in reducing fitting will sit on top (it forms a pretty good seal). Use 2in pipe so that it runs to the top of the cage. Then use a 90 degree bend fitting to go across the top. Then fit a piece of 2in pipe that is drilled or slotted your choice, (to let the mist out) across the top and use an end cap. I slotted mine with a table saw leaving a bit in the middle. If I cut another piece, I will leave a bit on either end as well. It will help keep the diameter of the pipe correct. I ended up having to silicon the end cap and the 90 to my slotted pipe. I did not use any glue in the other joints so I could take it apart for cleaning. My set up is in a cabinet so I also used two 45 degree joint to get the pipe to the back, up through a hole I cut in the top and another 90 to get my pipe across the middle. Even on low the mist is quite good. If this is clear as mud I will be happy to take pictures and draw a diagram. All the pipe and fittings are PVC.

Parts list: One humidifier like the Holmes 485, two 2 in reducing fitting, two 45 degree fittings, two 90 degree fittings, one end cap and for me 8ft of 2in pipe. Silicon caulk Of course you list will depend just on how you plan to set up your system.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thanks guys :) HC, I don't suppose I could see those pics could I? I'd say, clearer than mud, but still pretty murky :p I just wanna be sure before I go out and buy a bunch of PVC. My setup's a nylon mesh cage, about equal to a 45 gallon or so.

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I'd like to see some pics too! And is that Holmes model a warm or cool humidifier?

6. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

I'll take some tomorrow when I get home from work. The wife and Clyde have gone to bed. Somehow that doesn't sound right! To their respective beds! :D I missed the last question, It's a cool mist ultrasonic humidifier. Boy it's really time for bed---Night all!

7. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I made a humidifer/mister out of the small exo-terra style ones using a pitcher, pvc, and an air hose. Its not set up at the moment but Ill see if I can take a photo of the layout tommorow. It produces a thicker mist that floats on the bottom compared to the large misters that will fill an entire tank with a light mist- thats just personal observations though.
    The large models can be made using pvc couplings and silicone. Ill see if I can find a pic of how people do it later.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, I've seen those misters that make the thick stuff you're talking about. That won't work in mine though. The enclosure is screen all around, it'd just leak fog across my floor instead.

9. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Ok, yeah, that's sorta what I pictured. Your's works ok with it on top of the cage like that? I would've thought it would work better to run inside the cage. Does the mist just fall down then, or spread out a lot? Oh, and your PVC seems to fit into the humidifier so nicely, what exactly did you have to do to get it to fit like that? Just pop off whatever piece was on the humidifier and then silicone the PVC in its place?

11. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Yup! I just took off the directional nozzle and used silicon caulk to form a seal between the tank and the reducing fitting. I have mine across the top so the mist falls down into the tank. The slot kind of spreads it out across the cage. I have a fan running in the room to keep the air moving so some of the mist does drift out of the cage. On low I have been able to raise the humidity from around 25% to 55% on average. I can also keep the humidity much higher after misting for much longer. I had 90% today for almost an hour after misting! It then slowly fell back. Also some water forms on the cage top and falls on my plants.

I should point out that the reason I use 2 reducing fitting is so you can take the tank out to refill with water. The second fitting sits right on top of the first and forms a really good seal.

If the water is still murky I'll draw a detailed diagram. If I can't figure out how to post it you will have to give me your email and I'll send it as an attachment.

Oh yea, I didn't put the PVC into the tank so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the screen for crickets to get out and so I could break it down to clean quickly and easily.

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If setting it on top works just as well I think I'll go that route rather than put a hole in my cage too. Now I've never used PVC for anything before. I've only ever seen a piece of PVC once, ad it was being used as a rodent tunnel. So what do you mean by 2 reducing fitting and all that stuff? One thing I've done so far that helps with the humidity was to fold a beach towel in half and attach it to 3 of the 4 vertical sides of the cage. Plus if you get the towel damp that helps too. I got one that had a green side with flowers on it, so its relatively natural looking.

13. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Ok, a reducing fitting is a joint where a smaller size pipe connects to a larger one. In my case I believe it was a 1 1/2 in to 2 in fitting. I siliconed the 1 1/2 in end down into the tank. The next fitting is exactly the same, but fits into the first fitting with no silicon. I then cut with a hack saw a short piece of 2 in pipe and fit it into the 2 in end of the second fitting. No glue or silicon. Then because I had to run the pipe over a bit I used two 45 degree bend fittings with a short piece of pipe between the two fittings. ( If you can run the pipe straight up them you don't need the 45 degree fittings) I then put a length of the pipe into my last fitting and measured to the top of the cage. I then held up my next piece, a 90 degree turn, to the pipe and measured with it resting on the edge how far down the fitting would go. (be sure to account for the amount that goes into the fitting) I then cut the pipe at that point. Next place the pipe and 90 in position, no glue or silicon. I wanted to run my mist across the center so I had the first 90 turned forward and cut a short piece of pipe to length. Fit that piece and then another 90 to turn back across the top of the cage. Measure and cut a piece of pipe so that it goes all the way across. This is the piece that you will either have to drill holes along the bottom or cut slots in for the mist to come out of. At the end of this piece put an end cap on and your finished!

One hint - when you make your cuts on the pipe use a piece of electric tape and run it around the pipeat the cut line. This will give you a guide while cutting.

I don't hang more than one towel up at a time for air flow reasons.

Ask me for more details if you need them. I could show you in a few seconds if you were here, but it is way harder to describe in print. I will also be happy to draw a diagram in detail.

14. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Furryscaly, I sent you a rather poorly scaned diagram to your hotmail address. It plus the posts should make things a bit clearer.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, the drawing helped a lot. So THAT'S what a reduced fitting is :p

16. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

I hope it helped and you can now build it for your cham!

Now I just have to paint mine black to blend in with the cage, complete the drip vine and drain system, mount the mist guard, (to protect the wall from water) Build the light rack/shade, and hard mount all the electrical stuff. Once all that is done I'll stain it black and poly urethane it. Clyde will be color cordinated and wife approved, then I can just watch him. If I don't fall asleep first! It's not the care part that's hard in keeping a cham, it's building the set up!

I'm now getting hints about making the cricket and silk worm station better looking.............. :eek:

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, not in a good position to get a cham at the moment, but it should make my basilisk happier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.