This Disappears When Logged In

Ups and downs with millipedes.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by titus, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well two days ago I recived a second order from a good shop, a group of Mardonius parilis acuticonus, 2 red legs, and a Spirostreptidae spec. 5 freebie. The red legs were not so active and died yesterday, both within hours of another. On the up side last night I caught the Mardonius parilis acuticonus in the act. So little millies on the way. Well here are some pictures of them along with the one Ommatoiulus rutilans thats active the last 3 days.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow that last one is pretty cool. i have never seen one like that before! thanks for sharing. :)

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That last one IS very cool. lol I have seen millipedes before, but nothing like that! Thanks for sharing.

4. titus

Thank you. The last millipede pictured is a male Ommatoiulus rutilans, their a small spec. native to Spain growing only to 5-6cm. I was only able to get a group of 5, one died with in a week the others are alive to my knowledge but only the one male is above ground and active. The last action I saw from the others was one pairing with the male.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Sweet...Its way cool :)

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I just don't understand how people think "bugs" are "gross". These guys look pretty neat to me.

7. travisgecko...

travisgecko... Elite Member

does anyone now a good website that has instructions on how to set a up centipede,millipedes habitat

8. travisgecko...

travisgecko... Elite Member

could you please show the hole habitat?

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

That last one should be called , "The Michelin Millipede".;)

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread! Millipedes are one of my favorites :D What's that middle species? I assume the "unidentified Spirostreptid"? It doesn't appear to be the same as the first. They look like what are commonly called "African white-footed millipedes", but I can't find a scientific name for them.

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get all those 'pedes from? I'm a collector/ breeder of millipedes and am always looking for new species, which is sometimes difficult, especially here in the 'States.

11. titus

Hi, long time no see, the middle spec. is Dendrostreptus macracanthus. The one unknown seems to be a spec of Pachybolus, though I haven't been able to track it down to any that are avalible commonly. I recive my millipedes though diffent means private breeders mainly. Though I've worked with Born To be Eaten often. http://www.btbe.de. I think they ship to the us too. Or Insecktenköngin.de

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.