This Disappears When Logged In

Upright Cage?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Dragoness, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

10.27.13 047.jpg

This is what it looks like right now. The clamp lamp in the other pictures was lighting it so we could see what we were doing with the floors.

I need to order the heater, and install branches. I am thinking about attaching a branch horizontally, anchoring it in both walls with good screws. It would be a more or less permanent attachment. the branch is probably about 3" thick, more than adequate for him to comfortably bask on. That one would run under the heat panel, so he could position himself in whatever temperature zone he liked best, either directly under the panel, or off to the side. Other branches would be zigzagging up and down and across the cage to provide climbing structures.

Water dish and a warm hide will be on the floor.

2. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Looks great! Horizontal branches are great and you want to have multiple levels. I reccomend trying a hanging hide like this guy did. Great video!! : Jungle Carpet Python Habitat Building - YouTube

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

That looks awesome! Keep us updated on your progress please!

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I like the idea of making a high-hide, possibly more than one. Wonder what I could make them out of? Brainstorm time.

Was planning on multiple levels for my cage, lots of branches, both horizontal, and at angles to allow for easier up and down movement. I need to see what other tree trimming I can do, lol. My maples are getting overgrown.

I just finished sealing the bottom panel yesterday, the one that goes underneath the doors. I want to paint something decorative on the outside of it today, and then attach it to my cage tonight or tomorrow.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The panel that will be attached to the bottom (under the doors) was painted white, and my inner artist couldn't stand to leave it that way. It was a blank canvas.

So I got out my acrylic paints, and took a look at the colors I had available (very limited) and settled on a sketch I liked. 3 hours later, I had this.

10.27.13 022.jpg

I need to seal it up under a few layers of varnish to protect it, and it'll be ready for attaching to the cage.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Progress, slow but sure:
    Attached the bottom panel today. Still unsure if I want to silicone it into place (better seal), or leave it with only screws (in case I ever need to remove it.)

Opinions? I already put 1/4" weather strip on parts of it, but there are still very slim cracks that would allow my precious warm humid air to escape.

11.1.13 002.jpg

Also attached a center panel to the back of the left door. Helps close the gap between doors, so less air escapes.
    11.1.13 003.jpg ... 11.1.13 004.jpg

The next step is getting the glass cut for the doors. I have the glass, I just need it cut. People are willing to part with broken aquariums for cheap or free. I got a 55 gallon aquarium with one end busted, and am simply going to salvage the glass from it to make the doors. Thankfully, both of my brothers are good at cutting glass. It's easy to learn, but I am, shall we say, accident prone.

Picking up some branches this weekend (volunteered to trim trees for a few people) so I am getting paid to get some branches for this cage, lol.

After that, it's just a wait to order the heater until funding isn't so tied up with holiday shopping and medical bills.

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Looking good Jen, I say use the silicone to seal it. If it ever needs to come apart it's nothing a razor blade can't fix quick. I also need some rack builts, got some time? ;)

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I would silicone it as well.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Guess I will bust out the caulking gun on Sunday. The less air leaks out the better.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Started adding branches today. Most of them are maple. Also wanted to add a high-hide for Jacket, although the largest half-logs available don't seem to look large enough to fit all of him in. I may look into other options...

11.26.13 011.jpg

11.26.13 013.jpg

At this point I am just decorating, and in a few weeks, I plan on ordering the heat panel.

I have more branches to add higher up, and some fake plants to wrap around a few of them to green it up a bit, but I'm done for the night, lol.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, after a few setbacks, and this blizzard blowing a few pipes, I finally got around to ordering my new heat panel for the cage, and finished mounting branches.

The heat panel is expected to ship out next week. I will pick up the plexiglass for the doors between now and then, or have the husband bring it home from work (having him work at Home Depot is just WAY too handy...)

Hoping to move Jacket into it within a month. Depending on how well the heat panel fills the ceiling of his cage, I may still have room to put another high-hide up there, but will have to see it in there first...

Then begins the upgrades for other snakes - leaving me with an empty cage.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think this is it for branches, for now. I have some more I can add if I decide the cage needs them.

Tossing the idea around of adding some corner shelves, and more high-hides that would actually be big enough to accommodate Jacket, with room to expand/replace parts as he grows.

Attached Files:

13. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

that looks really nice..... great job.... wanna build a cage for a 3 1/2 ft green iguana? lol

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What about a couple planter boxes?

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pretty sure he would destroy live plants, but looking into similar plastic containers for wall or ceiling mountable hides. I was hoping to keep a more 'natural' look, but they don't make half-logs big enough for that, lol.

anything I do get can easily be decorated to give it a more natural look, by adding fake plants, bark, etc.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I know he would destroy the plants but you could make a hide out of them and then have fake plants coming out to make it look like an actual planter.

YOu could have the planter , put a sort of lido ontop of it that has holes for him to go in and out of and then attach the fake plants to the lid.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The heat panel arrived today! We are going to install the panels, and the plexiglass in the doors, and then it's almost ready for Jacket to move in. The instructions say it will smell for a couple days as it cures, but the odor is harmless and non-toxic. I think I'll wait till that period is over to move him in anyways (he is opaque right now, so going to wait a few days either way.)

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Just put up the Heat Panel per accompanying instructions. It is already up to a surface temp of 170ºF (as measured with temp gun) and it has only been running a few minutes.

I know Jacket won't be able to coil around it, or drape himself on it, as it is ceiling mounted, but that number still makes me a little nervous. Still not nearly as hot as a CHE (which temp gun read as 519ºF)

Anyone with panels ever take a surface temp on theirs? what kind of numbers do you guys get?

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mostly done:

Moved the latches around to be more practical.

Need knobs for the doors, which I know I have a few buried in my odds & ends hardware box.

And Jacket needs to shed...

The panel is still very warm to the touch at that temp, but not blisteringly so. Brief brushes against it won't be an issue.

Attached Files: