This Disappears When Logged In

Upright Cage?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Dragoness, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Have had a stalled our project in my reptile room for some time now. It's going to be an upright cage once it's done. I think I'd like to use it to upgrade one of my current reptiles, but the only remotely arboreal things I have are my 2 JCP, who differ wildly in their habits.

One (Alistaire) rarely leaves the ground of his cage, despite having fake logs, and real branches to climb on. He gets on them occasionally, but usually to avoid getting sprayed.

The other (Jacket) has yet to be observed touching the soil in his cage since he came to me in May.

The cage measures approximately 3x2x5', and would be plenty of space for a JCP. It is not complete yet, only sealed and painted. Still needs lights, heaters, humidity systems, hygrometers, locks, etc. installed. It's indoors, and I'm thinking it'll be a nice winter project to keep me busy.
    Picture 149.jpg

Anyone else keep their JCP in an upright enclosure, have any input as to how much of the height they utilize? When I see a JCP in a zoo or other institution, they are typically high in their enclosure.

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I say try it! make as natural as possible and I think the carpet would use the whole thing. That's the thing about them, they'll be ok in smaller places but will use what ever you give them. Look forward to updates and their is my 2 cents :)

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Thats a cool looking project! I'm actually really curious to see how it turns out and how you like it. My carpet is do for an upgrade himself, and I've been debating the merits of a more vertical vs horizontal set up myself.

The big thing I wonder about verticle set ups is this: Most of the time when you see a carpet perched at the top of a vertical enclosure that cage is heated from the top and the snake is under the heat. So is that animal spending all that time climbing because it enjoys it, or because the good heat is at the top so that's where it needs to go?

The same scenario works in reverse too, I see a lot of people with carpets set up primarily with belly heat, and then they claim that the animal obviously prefers being on the ground.

This confuses me immensely. I wish I could just ask stryker what he'd prefer

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. JoeyG

Just use both :) I use Uth and heat panels

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Both of my existing carpet cages are heated from the top only, no belly heat, and both are only 2 feet tall, and in the same room, with same ambient temps, so their current environments are almost identical (in terms of temps, humidity, etc) the only real difference is that one cage is a foot longer than the other.

I guess I'll finish it out, and put a lot of sturdy branches in there for climbing. It's one of my winter projects (have about half a dozen of those.) I'll move my larger carpet into that cage, and my smaller carpet into the now vacant larger cage. His cage, while pretty, is heavy, and awkward, and I'll probably strip out the parts I can use (glass doors, locks, etc), and toss the shell (was free anyways.)

Come to think of it, most institutional JCP cages I have seen were heated from above, with snakes perched on branches under heat sources. No visible signs of belly heat options, so they were either well hidden, or absent.

My next question is which heat source to use in a cage this tall? Lighting will be simple fluorescent.

A ceramic heat emitter (Eh. Upside is I already have a few, so new purchase not necessary, but will take up excessive space creating a safety barrier to keep snake from burning itself. Not really my first choice.)

A radiant heat panel?

A Mega Ray heat projector? (they are back-ordered right now, but that's okay, since I have all winter...)

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Im rocking a radient heat panel in one of snakes set ups (my carpet will def get one on his next set ip)) and absolutely love it. I like my CHE well enough, and you pretty much get the same effect with less wattage as well not needing to either gaurd the bulb or mount it externally. Great product

7. JoeyG

Agreed, love the heat panels! They come in different sizes to meet your needs. Much safer then che or bulbs and often use less power. Seems more natural to me also. A little more pricey but I see them as an investment and they last forever :)

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

How far do heat panels project their heat?

I need to figure out what size would be appropriate for a cage that size.

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

To be honest I'm not sure. My panel only needs to project about 10 inches, and it is capable of getting about 105 degrees at that distance. I believe its a 24 watt

I would give the guys at Pro Products a call. Their panels are really nice and I'm sure they'd be able to answer any questions and recommend a size.

10. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Looked it up its a 50

11. JoeyG

Pro products are indeed the guys to talk to. I went over with him on everything where they were going to be and ambient temps and all and he has done an awesome job on getting me the right stuff. None of my cages ever drop below desired temp and the biggest panel I have is only a 40watt. All my temps are set to mid 80s and I have no problem achieving that even in the basement room they are in. All my enclosures even keep the rooms ambient temp up. Most panels are only 20watts too! Their service is great and the product is awesome! This is all from first hand experience. I've invested thousands in my animals and wouldn't trust anything but their panels to maintain them. My 2 cents ;)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So what do they charge for the panels?

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Just sent them an e-mail with the info they request in order to customize a panel to your particular needs. Hopefully, I will hear back soon - everything I have read about them, and heard about them says they are nothing but amazing, long lasting, efficient, safe, etc. All good qualities.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The panel they recommended is $155 shipped (totally reasonable, in my opinion)

The model recommended was PH-125, 375 BTU/h, 110 watt, 15" x 24" radiant panel.

Think I'll order it next month. Hoping to finish this cage by Christmas, and have a very nice upgrade for Jacket.

15. JoeyG

That's a decent price. The ones I have are a lot smaller since my cages are too and they're around $80 something. I've seen my snakes crawling on the and trying to get in between them and the cages and no burns have ever come of it. Another convert I see, bet you wont regret it! :) Look forward to updates!

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'd order it this week if I didn't have a million other projects currently in the works. Working like a madwoman trying to do too many things at once, lol. On top of a job that is going almost too well right now. Promotions and bonuses are nice, as are the paychecks when my hours are literally unlimited, but it has left little time for recreational pursuits (and starting to overextend what my body is capable of anymore. Ice packs and heat pads are my constant companions during my off-work hours nowadays.) Thankfully, we should be slowing down soon, and I can go back to a reasonable 40 hour workweek

Re-flooring the kitchen, Building wall-mountable orchidariums for my orchids & hoyas (and another one as a Christmas gift for my orchid-loving brother) excavating our crawlspace to make room for the floor-jacks we need to level the sagging living room floor, and then re-flooring that!

I'm beginning I just need to hire someone to get some of this done so I can focus on the more important things, like the snake cage.

17. JoeyG

Wow sounds like you do indeed have your hands full! I have tons of things my wife wants done and we've both been painting and that and the kid and dog seem to take all my time. Good luck and try some Tylenol too ;)

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

We just finished painting our kitchen last week. It took a few weeks to get it done, because we could only get and hour here or there, but the end result was worth the wait.

I keep asking my husband to do some of it, but he has been busy making scabbards lately. I gave up and told him to hire someone. He works at home depot, so he can usually just bring stuff home from work, which is very convenient. Can also get contacts for contractors and other specialized laborers for certain jobs.

As we found out with painkillers, when I take them (even mild OTC ones like Ibuprofen and tylenol), I feel way too fine, and then I just continue to abuse the parts of me that need to rest... So I generally opt not to use them unless the pain is debilitating. When my foot doctor put me in a cast, I was still jogging a few miles a day on a foot that had a break, and multiple tendon/ligament strains/sprains/separations/disconnects in it. (felt okay). I have never seen a doctor lose composure so quickly.

I think what I need is sedatives, lol. If I am conscious, I am doing something.

19. JoeyG

Lol! Wow Jen, don't see your poor hubby keeps up! Running on a broken foot is hard core! Now I see why you handle that boa so easily ;-)

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Had today off, so got some more work done on the cage. 2 of the 4 glass panels are cut, and I can't cut the rest for a while - they will be the last thing to go into the new cage (I am taking them from another cage I will be throwing out, once everything else is ready to move everyone up.)

Did the flooring. It's laminate - and waterproof!
    10.27.13 023.jpg

Installed a fluorescent light to provide some day lighting for the cage. The bulb it came with is yellowish, I will probably see if I can find a cleaner "Daylight" type of color. I don't care for the yellow.

Put locks on (Surface bolts) Currently, only on the tops of the doors. Will have a second set on the bottom of the doors as well, but need to finish the bottom panel to attach them to. It is currently drying.
    10.27.13 037.jpg