This Disappears When Logged In

Upright Cage and Jacket Updates

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Dragoness, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Jacket has been in his new upright cage for about a month and a half now. We have been refining it during that time. Even though we thoroughly sanded branches before putting them in, he managed to scuff himself quite nicely. A ten-inch long streak on his side has bent scales, many of which are slightly shriveled, and seem to have been parted from the outer layer. No visible broken skin, but I did wipe him with chlorhexadine a few times just to be safe. He spent the next night in the bin, while we attacked the cage with sandpaper and silicon AGAIN. (Sandpaper is very good at removing urates, by the way)

If usage is anything to go by, he LOVES having the vertical space. He climbs around quite a bit, and is quite active. I know he journeys all the way to the floor of it, because he likes to tip his water dish (I have been switching out different ones, trying to find one he can't tip as easily).

With the radiant heat panel, his basking spot stays a perfect 90ºF during daytime hours, and cage temps drop at night into the mid eighties on the warm end (the upper half) while the lower half remains slightly cooler.

He is a clumsy snake, too. His basking spots are on wide branches (twice his thickness) so he would have a sturdy basking spot. He falls, sometimes, I have seen him do it twice so far. The first time, he was on a lower branch, and I was filling his water dish. he picked up his head to watch me, and overbalanced. fell a foot to the cage floor (which at least had a good 3-4 inch layer of coco-fiber to cushion his fall) The most recent fall, was from his basking spot (probably 4.5 feet from the floor of the cage.) I had opened up his cage to do morning checks, and he overbalanced again, and fell all the way to the floor. I winced, but he was back to his basking spot in less than 5 minutes. We have since added more branches to give him wider 'platforms' to bask on, and more chances to catch himself if he overbalances.

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

For the water dish-he may be too big for the dog bowls that are made so they cant be tipped over...but what about stacking some bricks around a plastic tub?

3. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I'd like to see a picture of the full enclosure when you have time.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks very nice though. Guess he doesn't have his tree legs yet :) I see another happy customer with the heat panels too. I think they're the best thing ever for some species!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I absolutely adore those heat panels. I want more!

They seem great for any snake likely to lie out in the open (arboreal snakes, etc) and lizards who may bask in the open, but for animals more prone to hiding (Ball Python, Leopard Gecko, etc) they may not be as practical.

I'm not sure if they would be a good bet for a BRB or not, but I am looking into it. My BRB hides a lot, but that may owe more to the furnishings in her cage than anything else. She has ground hides, and not many branches. I know they aren't climbers, but maybe stout ledges would be put to use. One way to find out.

I also wish they made larger log hides. Jacket barely fits in the one he has, (and he looks absurd when he does) but he uses it only on rare occasions. I may make him a larger high-hide out of great stuff, to look like a larger log.

7. JoeyG

I felt the same way once I got the first one too. For arboreal snakes they're the best thing out there

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Do you think they would work well for a cwd?

9. JoeyG

Don't see why not if the animal is up high for it's basking point

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Maybe I will get one for tai for christmas...

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think they would work great for a CWD. They really do project the heat quite a ways.

12. JoeyG

I will break you down yet and have you into snakes ;)

Great to have another convert :-"

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Joey I would love to get a snake but food would be a concern for me. As with only one snake it's kinda expensive to order mice online and there are no local rodent breeders that I would trust.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Is breeding your own feeders out of the question?

I used to breed gerbils - much less smelly than mice.

15. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

This enclosure is beautiful. It has given me some ideas. My little JCP seems spends 95% of her time on the highest branches of her enclosure, so I may consider converting some furniture like you have. Thanks for the inspiration.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

At the moment space is an issue but once I am in a larger place and have a closet or room I could set up as a reptile room again I may consider breeding the food and then getting a snake.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I bred gerbils in plastic rubbermaid bins. Thinking about doing it again.