This Disappears When Logged In

Upgrading Enclosure, Need Ideas!

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by gapeachkatie, May 10, 2012.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I was thinking of making some changes to Ryuu's tank. Basically, my boyfriend has offered to pay for me to get all the supplies needed and wanted some ideas from other people.

The tank is 4ft x 3ft x 2 1/2ft, so that should be plenty of space to add a second level into it and give him more options for basking.

I was also thinking of using a piece of styrofoam I found in my basement to make him a little pool. It is about 10 inches long, 6 inches wide, and 4 inches deep. I was thinking I could use some tile grout I have sitting around to make it sturdier and then figure out the best way to seal it. This way he has the ability to soak whenever he wants and it will help to bump his humidity up. For some reason, I have to mist his tank twice a day to make sure his humidity stays around 35%, otherwise it will drop below 15% with no problem, even though he has a water dish near one basking spot.

Any other ideas for the tank upgrade will be very much welcome. I have about a $100 spending limit and already have several materials on hand, just no clues on how to put them to use.

Here is a pic of his current enclosure set up:
    [​IMG]

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would just use a shallow plastic or glass dish for a water dish, large enough to soak in. I use an extra large exo terra one for my beardie.

3. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I could get a ceramic plant saucer. I kind of what something sturdy because he has a habit of trying to redecorate his tank. I wake up to his current water dish and food dish being pushed to a new area of the tank every morning.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would do as Michele suggested for the water feature.
    You could make it look more natural by then using the styrofoam around it. Shaping it into ledges and then covering in grout.
    I agree that making more levels would definitely be of benefit. Adding double the square footage of usable space.