This Disappears When Logged In

Updates

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Brewster320, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

Ok so it's been about a month since I got my baby eastern garter, he's been chowing down on lots of worms and a few fish, although he's not crazy about them. He's destroyed his vivarium so I took it apart and just made something a lot simpler. He's 8 inches now, he was 5 when I got him and has shed twice. I don't know if that type of growth spurt is normal in garters. I wouldn't mind if someone could answer that? Now I've switched him onto pinkie parts, rather easily actually only took 2 feedings, and he still eats some worms. But now that I've switched him do I still feed him every 3 days or do I do I feed him once a week like my corn snake? And my last question is even though he's only 8 inches is it ok to try to handle him and do most garter snakes calm down and get used to being held or are they just naturally high strung snakes? Thanks.

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know how much help I can be to you, but I would advise extreme caution when handling such a small snake. They tend to be flighty and it only takes one time of them wriggling out of your hands for you to lose them forever.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Garters feed more frequently than most snakes. I would stay with the 3 day intervals.

4. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

I still feed mine every 3-4 days and they are close to 10 inches. They shed like mad (grin).

To answer your question about handling...
    I find that a few of mine have very flighty personalities, but the majority are very laid back and enjoy being held.
    I would say that you could tame him by handling him, but that would be opposite my observations.

P.S. The adult would eat everyday if we were persistent enough. But one mouse a week keeps her just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.