This Disappears When Logged In

UPDATE: S373 Python Ban

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by Rich, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Today the Senate Committee on the Environment & Public Works (EPW) held a business meeting on S. 373. Committee Chair Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Ranking Member Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) presided. After brief statements the committee held a mark up session on S. 373, to amend title 18, United States Code, to add constrictor snakes of the species Python genera to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. Senator Inhofe expressed concerns about the bill. Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD) offered an amendment to limit the scope of the bill to only the 9 snakes addressed in the USGS report on large constrictors. Senator Cardin further agreed to work with Senator Inhofe to improve the bill prior to a vote on the Senate floor. The amendment was passed by voice vote. S373 was then voted out of Committee by voice vote with Senator Inhofe registering a NO vote.

S373 has now passed committee. It can not become law until it is voted on and passed by the full Senate and House of Representatives. There is still much work to be done prior to the Python Ban becoming law. S373 in its current form in unacceptable to USARK and the Reptile Nation. We will continue to work with Senator Inhofe, Senator Cardin and the EPW Committee Staff to shape the future of this bill. Please make an appointment to visit with your Senator and express your concerns with S373. Everyone needs to step up and make contact with your Senator. Let USARK know about your meeting. It is time to step up our game and show Washington we are serious about this. Continue the good fight. The Reptile Nation thanks Senator Inhofe for his even handed treatment of our industry.

Following is the statement of Ranking Member James Inhofe (R-OK):

Regarding S. 373, which is designed to ban the import and export of certain constrictor snakes, I believe we need to follow the process already established, which allows stakeholders to have input. Commonsense reforms are needed to prevent the proliferation, importation or breeding of species that would be harmful to ecosystems or human health and safety. We are setting a dangerous precedent of continuing to address these species outside of normal agency channels. Although I will not be offering an amendment today, I will support efforts on the floor to mitigate the negative effects to those snake owners and breeders who legally acquired their snakes, but through no fault of their own now find that their property is worth nothing.

S373 has been amended to include ONLY:

1.Python molurus
    2.Broghammeras reticulatus
    3.Python sebae
    4.Python natalensis
    5.Boa constrictor
    6.Eunectes notaeus
    7.Eunectes deschauenseei
    8.Eunectes murinus
    9.Eunectes beniensis

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Well, that's a step at least. I mean, at least they realized silly things like ant-hill pythons and ball pythons do not require a silly ban. Maybe more common sense will continue to be knocked into their heads until this thing is stopped?

3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

It may NOT be stopped, it is on the way to being passed and that's the way we should think of it. Every single one of you guys in the USA need to do something to try to keep your beloved snakes/your businesses alive. This thing has to be killed in transit before it makes it to the top and gets passed to all our horror!!!

Some of you reptile/snake sites need to get together with each other to form a special group comprising of various snake/reptile sites just to beat this thing. Victory is in numbers and collaboration even between groups that are normally rivals. We have a Common Enemy!!!

Get a thread started, a common thread to all the sites in the special group, and have passionate and meangingful posts in it from site members that are all seriously concerned with the Ban and the effect it will have on them as individuals, breeders etc. call the thread "SOS - Save our Snakes & our Lives". Then let the special group of site owners send the edited, compiled threads from all the sites to the relevant people/press etc.

I belong to three sites and this is one of them. I have suggested it to the other two sites I belong to. You all know each other.

Ban the Ban!

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This is a pretty huge "step" if you will in the right direction. As a large snake owner(not python, but Boa) this had me worried. It is our job to not only show responsibility and respect when handling our pets but show our state officials that while there is a risk involved in owning any large reptile we are smart enough and care way too much about the safety and well being of those around us to properly care for and house these guys. The image of the common large snake owner is a tattoed punk-freak that listens to death metal and in general looks like they lack the know-how to take care of themselves, let alone a 13 foot long dog/cat/man killing-eating python. I feel like if we take the time to call and talk to these people they will possibly see we are not all the typical scary irresponsible image people think of when they hear "oh the person across the street has a huge pet snake" It is kind of in our hands to show them we are capable of the required responsibility in owning large herps.

5. Rich

Savvy, this better still HAVE you worried because Boa constrictor is still on the list.

Anyone who thinks this will fix itself all by itself is a fool. There will never be enough people calling in and sending emails or letters.

Don't become complacent because the bill was revised. If this goes through as it is currently written many people will be severely affected by it.

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah, this is sooo crazy!! What will happen to the owners who already have these snakes? What will happen to the snake? Is the owner grandfathered in or will the snake have to be taken away? I want this bill stopped no matter what, but it would be completely wrong if it was passed and then some owners would have to give up their beloved pet!

7. Rich

Those who breed these animals will be out of a job! Those who invested thousands of dollars on their high end morphs will have an animal worth "nothing" because it will be illegal to own.

I doubt they will be able to strip everyone of their current pets. That would fall under a grandfather clause of some sort since they were purchased when legal to own.

The implications on an outright ban are much larger than just people not being able to buy one again. It will have a ripple affect through the pet industry.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

This proposed ban deeply affects me in that I have 2 burmese pythons & 3 boa constrictors. That in and of itself is not very many, but I am planning to breed the boas in a couple of months. I feel that my rights of "Life,Liberty& the Pursuit of Happiness", are being ravaged because some narrow minded pin-head on Capital Hill is listening to some radical group describing us as Godless heathens who roam the streets looking for victims to feed to our large snakes!!!!!! I am charging headlong into the fray and challenging/inviting everyone else to join me! I am outraged! The one thing that gets me though, is the fasct that today it is largr constrictors- next week it may be Parrots,or Guinea pigs, or Gray Tabby cats or Chihuahuas. It is my understanding that The HSUS is not satisfied just stomping out reptile ownership, they want to end ownership of all animals-PERIOD! If I sound like some Doomsday prophet standing on a street corner wearing a sandwich sign and frothing at the mouth---- I apologize. Rich- if you feel the need to edit any of my text please feel free- it is not my intention to offend anyone, but sometimes I get my "Irish up". And don't know when to shut up. ;)

9. Ace

Ace Elite Member

David I agree and sometimes when this subject comes around I sound like I should be on the corner with you.

10. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I don't think Rich will have a problem with anything you just said. I think we need to realize that the reptile, and other animals, business is a major part in the well being of our economy. Also that most of the people wanting this ban have absolutely no clue about this matter! I do think it should be a little harder to obtain such large and possibly dangerous animals, but not impossible or anywhere close to being impossible. I think you should first have the proper enclosure for an adult, obtain a permit that has certain guide lines in keeping those licences, and possibly sporadic check up's to make sure those guide lines are being followed. A complete ban will do NOTHING!