This Disappears When Logged In

Update on Tiny.... Aggression.....

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by TJOHNSON722, Jul 5, 2012.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

My husband and I were kidless this afternoon, so we decided to get a few snakes out of thier cage. (We usually get them out at night after bed time). We opened the cage and he was out in the open laying there. I stuck my hand in and he struck at me. That was the first time he has struck at me since I got him over a year ago. He actually struck at me the entire time. We wrestled him the entire time we had him out. It literally looked like something you would see off the Python Hunters show. Mouth open hissing coiling around the arm. He didnt calm down once. He didnt connect because I am a ninja like that however, I want to nip this in the bud now while he is little. I would rather not have to wrestle a 150 pound 12 foot burmese. There is only 3 things different.

1. we have cage fed three times now. I figured once he gets big i will not want to bring him out while he eats. easier right?
    2. He is bare minimum in his cage because we have done one more mite treatment even though he is not one of the ones who had the mites. I am still hesitant to buy store or online bought items for thier cages.
    3. MAJOR growth spurt as you can see in the pictures.

Anyways, how have some of you battled this? I have 2 small children (4 and 2) and I want to be able to get him out for years to come while they are here.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Forgot the pictures.....

Attached Files:

3. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

I have no advice on the biting, but I do have advice on adding to the enclosure. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

If it will fit in the oven and is the appropriate material (wood, ceramic, rock, etc.), bake it at 300F for 20 minutes, let it cool, then add it. If it is not appropriate to heat (plastic, fabric, etc.), either:
    1) spray it down with bleach water (1.5oz bleach/32oz water), let it set 5 minutes, spray it again, let it set another 10 minutes, then wash thoroughly with water and let it dry completely in the sun (seal with Minwax polycrylic if appropriate); or
    2) wash it in the dishwasher/washing machine on a "sanitize" or "allergenic" cycle.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe you should invest in a snake hook. Do you have a lock for that cage?

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yeah we definately lock our cages. We have the thick heavy duty clips on thier cages. I think were just going to try to handle him more often.

I'm still leary about items in cages. I know sanitizing them works but still.

6. Crossbonecorns

Crossbonecorns Active Member

What is your feeding schedule like? could it have been hungry? Feeding in the enclosure is not an issue. My resident snake charmer, aka my wife, suggests " blood, sweat, and tears." basically handle it regularly and don't worry about getting tagged every now and again. Gloves and a sweat shirt help with that. The Burm will calm down eventually, It took ours about a couple weeks of regular handling to calm our feisty boy down.

7. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I feed him 1 sm rat every 10 days. I've never been tagged but my husband has been. He's our first problem child. All our others are completely calm. The only reason the hubby has been was because he handled a rat to feed one and then tried to get another one.

I'm not afraid of being bit. Heck, I hope it leaves a mark. I'm just going to tackle it head on I guess. He did turn blue today so it may have been that.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hopefully he was just having a bad day with an impending shed! Don't give up :)

9. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

yeah i waited until he shed yesterday. i moved his feed up from a small rat to a medium rat he ate it great. i am going to move his feeding schedule up from 10 days to weekly. however after shedding and one medium rat, i leaned over his cage today, to check on him and he struck at me again. without me even opening his cage. whats worse is he pooped and i have to get it out. we did however get a snake hook (i cringed when i had to buy it). he is my baby and he wants to eat me!!!