This Disappears When Logged In

Update on the New Carpet with Pics :)

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by bchuckry, May 12, 2012.

1. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

So the carpet I adopted a few weeks back is looking beautiful. I've been trying to leave her alone for the most part so she can settle in, plus she hasnt taken food yet so I'd rather wait till she's eating regularily. I'm hoping she'll take something soon, she been striking the rat but then dropping it :S She just molted about four days ago though so I'm sure I'll have better luck now. I'm gunna try a smaller one today to see if that helps any tips would be great as I'm new to snakes (always been a lizard girl)

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Beautiful carpet! Is it a pure coastal jaguar, or a coastal/jungle cross?
    I just got a carpet python about a month ago, and she hasn't given me any feeding issues. She's 4 for 4 already.

What size rat are you offering? Are you feeding inside the enclosure? And are you hovering over her watching her eat? Try giving her some privacy and see if that helps.

3. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

Thanks! So I've offered her rat pups I believe so far, sorry I'm new to the sizing, but I'm going to try to give her two mice tonight. I am trying to feed inside the enclosure right now just to keep her as comfortable as possible but I will eventually start moving her out, I just want her to eat first lol. Her tanks up on a computer table so if I kneel I can keep myself pretty out of view. I was trying to avoid mice because I heard they can get stuck on them, but none of the pet stores I checked had rats in a reasonable size smaller than what I'm offering now.

The girl I got her from had just recently moved her up to the bigger rats, and said she still had to give her a couple smaller ones every now and then if she was being picky, so thats probably all it is :)

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats one of the most gorgeous carpets I've seen!

5. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

Thank you :) oh and sorry I don't know exactly her mix. The girl I got her from was very new to reptiles and didn't know much about her. She got her from one of the more reputable stores in the city though.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

I had the same problem I couldn't find the right sized rats (rat pups also) so I've been feeding large mice. She took them readily even though she had been raised entirely on rats before I got her.

I really want a jaguar. I just love that pattern!

7. justor

justor Elite Member

I would say its probably a jungle cross due to the yellow coloration.

8. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

Yea thats kinda what I was thinking. Well the mice are defrosting in her room so I'll let you know how she takes em tonight! I saw the pic of your new snake, I love that kind of pattern too, cant wait to see the pic of its head :)

9. justor

justor Elite Member

10. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

Oh I missed that one! Gorgeous! Can't wait to handle my girl :D

11. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

WoW, that is one insane looking carpet!!!!!

12. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

She ate last night! YAY lol two mice. She gobbled up the first one as soon as I presented it to her, so I figured I'd try another since it was kinda small for her, and she gobbled the second one too sooo after a few days to digest I'm so taking her out! I am a little nervous about being nipped, but I know it comes with the territory lol

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad she ate for you!
    Don't be nervous, just take the bite and get it over with, then you will know what is expected. Plus you never know, maybe she won't bite.:)

14. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

Lol I'm hoping she wont, but its not a big deal if she does. I've been bit and whipped by my iggy plenty of times when he was a baby (he was a cranky one!) but I know it passes and usually barely hurts. Just makes me flinch lol

15. justor

justor Elite Member

I have been bitten and whipped by my ig countless times when he was a baby as well. My carpet only struck at me once the first time I tried to handle her, and I would gladly take that lightning fast strike again over an iguana bite. The iguana will bite and thrash tearing up skin, but the snake will just hit you and withdraw before you even realize you got bit. Not painful in the least (at least while they're small lol).

16. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

lol yea ig bites are not fun, but luckily he grew out of it fast. I'm hoping feeding her outside of her tank will make things easier, so I'll have to start that with the next feed.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, just to ask; do you warm the prey up before offering it?

18. bchuckry

bchuckry Active Member

yea I did, I just placed it under the heat lamp for a couple minutes till I could feel it was warm.

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on feeding. You have a gorgeous carpet!! Love her patterns and as for being bitten, if you're patient and make slow movements you can usually avoid it..... maybe ;)

20. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Beautiful carpet, My jungle carpet had issues with feeding when I first got her what I found works with my carpet when she drops the rats after striking is using my tongs to wiggle the rat to simulate a live one and then she will coil and constrict the more I wiggle the rat the harder she constricts.