This Disappears When Logged In

Update on my new crestie and enclosure

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by BrownFoundling, Jan 17, 2015.

1. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

I have decided to name my new crestie Jasper because the first time I saw her in dim light she reminded me of some of the light brown jasper stones I have seen. I have also decided to go with the female pronoun until proven wrong. It is just much easier that way. I added more plants to her enclosure and am now providing three dishes with CGD and only one water bowl. I'm still working on getting the humidity down. I have taken out the paper towels as well as the second water bowl because I have hardly been able to get the humidity down below 97%-99%. Figure that I just need to keep adding holes to the coragated plastic until I see the humidity dropping.
    image.jpg So this is what the new arrangement looks like. I might have gone too tall with the dracaena and the money tree as they are both touching the top of the enclosure, but I am hoping that pruning will keep them small enough to continue to work and I wanted to give Jasper height now.

I had not been able to figure out where Jasper retreated to during the day until I moved the prayer plant and saw this
    image.jpg She apparently has decided that the curl of a new leaf is just the right size for her. I have to say that I agree. Oh, and she much prefers real plants to artificial ones. I had added a bunch of artificial ones to try to give her more cover and climbing areas, but I only ever saw her on the real plants even though they were lower to the ground. I may have set her settling in back a bit by making the changes but I think she will be happier in the long run. I'm still on the lookout for poop so that I know she is eating. Haven't seen any so far, but I might have missed it too with such a large area.

2. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

Its cool to see the love you have for Jasper. She definitely reassembles a light jasper stone (I hope to one day find a crestie that looks like a tiger eye stone haha). Awesome enclosure and keep up the good work! Whenever your CGD runs out, try Pangea. Jasper might like it as well!

BrownFoundling likes this.
  3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Heck of a nice setup for a single crestie, well done. And yeah, a new setup or major changes to an existing one usually take a bit of getting used to. Plus it's their natural instinct to hide during the day. And it might be easier to just cut a small section out of the coroplast and hot glue some screen to it. Those plant will put off quite a bit of humidity on their own, so you'll need a bit of extra venting.

4. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

It looks wonderful! I'm so glad you're happy with her :) keep us updated. Hopefully you find some poo soon!