This Disappears When Logged In

Up Coming News Report on FOX

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Skeletor, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

So here in indiana FOX is doing a report on snakes. The basic idea of the report is on how easy it is to get dangerous snakes with out any questions. The problem is that they show clips of a boa constrictor and flash a few pics of burmese python. So the part that irritates me is where they show a boa and the reporter is talking to someone and asking him if that was the snake they ordered. The man replies yes it is. Then she proceeds to ask so we got this without any questions or any permits? And again the man replies yes. Then the reporter asks Now can this snake kill us? and the idiot replies Yeah, you wouldnt make it out the room if i let him loose.

Now i dont know what the report is going to be about. But the overall feeling is that they are saying that ALL snakes are dangerous and could kill you. Now if this report is gonna be discussing how people should have permits or they should outlaw venomous snakes or even maybe that snakes that are from the wild that are being bought are dangerous and need to be stopped is understandable. But the fact that the clip you see is basically, people can buy snakes, snakes have killed people, snakes should be outlawed in indiana, its stupid.

The fact of the matter is that yes, people have died from housing snakes, but most of the people i have heard of were not properly handling them or were just overall being stupid. And the fact that for every person that has died there are thousands of others with the same breed of snakes that haven't died.

I just wanted to vent, and maybe see if anyone else has seen clips like this on the news lately, and just get overall opinions on the matter.

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Well I doubt I will get the chance to see the news report,, But I suppose all snakes could kill you,,, say,, you choke on a cornsnake if you were trying to eat it,, or you could fall and hit your head and die if you tripped over your ball python having free time on the floor,, and of course there is always the chance of your ratsnake consticting you to death and then eating you :D

Okay back to reality, lol..... I really hope it does not turn out the way you stated, because all it takes is one idiot to get up their and claim your cornsnake can constrict and kill you and then eat you,, for half the population to believe that as being the truth,, they will then in turn pass it on to everyone they know,, then we are stuck with a world full of people who believe the cornsnake will make a midnight snack out of you.........ughhhh....

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes Boas are renowned for their habit of chasing down and killing humans!:rolleyes: This is probably one of those idiots who think it is funny to go out and scare people with the snake!:mad:
    And this is how laws get passed prohibiting reptiles!
    What a moron!:mad:

I would be getting in contact with the News and explaining to them that this is total nonsense.
    Of course being FOX it probably won't make any difference since they seem to thrive on sensationalism!

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

stupid breeds more stupid.

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Pretty much. They realized that no matter how we try, no news is truly objective. So they just threw out that "objectivity crap" and went for what sells.

I know I'm one of those people that strongly believes that we should have to have permits for hots or very large breeds of snakes, along with a few very difficult to keep reptiles. But more for their protection than ours, since most people who go an buy, say, a reticulated python, just get one from a pet store not knowing how large they get or how to take care of one, and not really caring, either.

It's incredibly wrong to villanize all snakes because of the miscare and stupidity of people, though. We already know people go insane around snakes. Why stir up more bad feelings? Why outlaw even snakes that are harmless from the people who really would take care of them?

6. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Sorry for making this political but I'll just make my statement and leave it at that...but, Welcome to Nanny State politics. Anything that can harm you will be outlawed. No matter how ridiculous it is nor your willingness to accept the risks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.