This Disappears When Logged In

Up Close and Personal

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by BlackJack, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Crichton is our oldest male GTP (4 years 9 months) and he is definitely not camera shy!
    Check out the tips of his tongue showing in the last pic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

He is amazing.

3. BlackJack

Thanks! He has the brightest and nicest blue markings of all of our GTPs. And he has a VERY sweet temperment. To date, he hasn't bitten anyone ever! :)

4. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

Andrea,
    That's amazing. Sorry for my ignorance, but are GTP and chondros the same snakes, or are they different snakes belonging to the same family (tree pythons)?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They really are great photos Andrea! And how clearly the heat-pits show....These are very sophisticated creatures, among the most successful predators of all animals!
    Stefan :)

6. BlackJack

GTP (green tree pythons) Chondros (chondro pythons) and Morelia Viridis are 3 different names for the same type of snake.
    Thanks for the compliments :)

Stefan: You are right, with those heat sensitive pits: they almost never miss when striking at the F/T rats we feed. In fact we use VERY long feeding tongs, just in case our hands might be a tad warmer than the rat! ;)

7. ChondroDoc

ChondroDoc Member

@angrykitten

The former taxonomic name of morelia viridis was chondropython viridis. Although scientifically incorrect, the nick "chondro" is still often used and also preferred by myself.

Regards
    Martin

OK Andrea, you were faster :)

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Holy Cow, it's Martin! Those are some very very nice close ups! Excellent quality, good depth of field.

9. BlackJack

That's a huge compliment coming from you Lacey! Thanks. :)
    Martin is the master photographer and all the best pics were taken by him.(I crop them, put them on the server and upload them into threads.)

10. Stefcen

Stefcen Member

These are so fantastic! There's no aggression there. It's great to see/read about a placid GTP.

11. BlackJack

Thanks! :) He REALLY is a total sweetie. He's very curious and mellow... except when he's hungry... then WATCH OUT!!

12. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

Thank you...now it is finally clear!

13. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

Thanks to both of you! I truly love them (chondros/green tree pythons)! They are amazingly beautiful.

14. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

wow,she is a beauty, and great pics...can't wait till my first snake;)

15. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

Wow that is an absolutely amazing snake! Her colors and markings are amazing, beautiful snake. I am so jealous.

16. BlackJack

Thanks everyone!
    He was our first GTP and as I said, he has such a sweet temperment that it's hard not to love him a bit more than the others... ;)

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Those photos are any snake hater's worst nightmare!!! AWESOME! I will print that in poster size - he is sooo stunning.:D

18. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

Andrea,

I have just a baby ball python and she is my very first snake, but I am growing very passionate and interested about "Morelia Viridis". You are so knowledgeable about those snakes. How long have you been keeping them for? I know you also have a ball python (or more than one). I am book-marking in my favorites all the sites I can find on "chondros". I know there is no way I will be able to have one any time soon, but perhaps in the future.

19. BlackJack

Thanks for the compliment angry kitten. We've been keeping GTPs for about 4 years. Crichton here was our first. Now we have 6 and will probably breed them next spring. (I also have one BP).
    If you are really interested in morelia viridis, I recommend getting a copy of Greg Maxwell's book "The More Complete Chondro". He is internationally known as "the expert" on chondros. You could also check out the information on his website and the links he provides there to other chondro forums/info sites: Welcome to Fine Green Tree Pythons
    I hope you'll be able to get all the information you need and eventually be able to get your GTP when you're ready.

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Andrea, I`m sure you know this, but other people may find it interesting... In the wild, these snakes use the tip of the tail as a "lure", they wriggle the end of it to attract the prey, I think there are a couple of other species that also have this feeding strategy...
    Stefan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.