This Disappears When Logged In

Unused 29 Gal Tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan01, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

So i have a spare 29 gallon tank that i used for my beardie (it has the same dimensions of a 20, just taller) and i was wondering what could go in it. Any suggestions? I would be open to almost anything, as long as it is not too expensive. What types of lizards or snakes would YOU put in it if YOU had it available?

By the way, it was designed to hold water but doesn't anymore, otherwise i would have put some piranhas in it long ago.

Thanks for ideas!

2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Why doesn't it hold water? Is it cracked or just a leaky seal? Its pretty cheap and easy to redo the silicone seal..

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Would be fine for a little corn, milk, or king snake for a couple years, though those would eventually need a larger enclosure. Garter or ringneck snake could live there indefinitely. Way too small for piranha's in any case.

4. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I want a ringneck, but their feeding and care seems a bit awkward. They eat only worms? That is very weird. Or do they eat anthing else? Could you direct me to a good care sheet for a ringneck?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ring necks are not commonly kept. Because kept properly, you will never see them. They are very secretive.

6. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I have really been intrigued by ring necks. I know there are some in my area, my brother having caught one once and having recently found one dead on the road (I now have it preserved in alcohol), and have wanted one for a while. I probably look more into them.

7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea, they're definitely secretive little snakes, you'd want to set them up natural with soil, leaf litter, lots of hides, bark etc so you'd likely never see it. I tried keeping similar species (Storeria sp. - brown and redbelly snakes) and they never showed themselves.

Ringnecks eat worms, they'll take small salamanders too. They'd probably take slugs too but I'm not 100% sure on that since some slugs slime tastes pretty bad and a lot of stuff won't eat it.