This Disappears When Logged In

Unshed Skin on Bottom Jaw

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by rorycollinsgreen, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, i Have a problem. My blood python shed about 2.5 weeks ago but i noticed that his bottom jaw has not shed. i have tried soaking him in water and removing it but have had no progress because the unshed skin keeps breaking and then he gets mad. I have also been persistent with this (because it is really bothering me) and I fear that i may cause trauma due to aggressive/over handling. I also heard that unshed skin around the mouth can cause big problems. If anyone can help me with this problem, that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for listening, -Rory

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the snake is small enough take the snake and put it in a wet pillowcase with a wet bath towel, tie the pillowcase and leave it in the enclosure overnight. The extra dampness plus the snake movng aganst the towel should remove the skin. The problem should be solved by morning.

3. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

I've used the pillowcase trick and it's a great tool. To keep them from getting too cool I placed it over the heated end I had the human heating pad under.

4. thanx for your help. there is only one problem that concerns me now; she is just getting over a respiratory infection and i fear that leaving her in a damp sack all night might be long enough time for the infection to start back up again. do you think this is possible?

5. prismwolf

If she's kept warm there should be any problem...and if she's still on antibiotics...she still has this working on her side.

6. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I've used the wet pillowcase with a wet towel trick before, and it worked beautifully :)

7. hey again, im just wondering why it is that the skin is still not shedding even after I leave her in the wet pillowcase for like 3 hrs. It is only coming off one scale at a time. I don't even know how to really approach this problem as well because the skin under the chin is incredibly stretchy and proves to be quite a problem. Should I take her to a vet? im getting frustrated

8. prismwolf

Sometimes it takes more than just a 3 hour soak. Do this for a few days, and it's not a tragedy if it doesn't come off until the snake sheds again. This isn't normally a high-danger area if doesn't shed. Chances are it will come off fine with the next shed.

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I would try again, maybe for a longer period. I know one of my snakes needed longer than 3 hours with the wet towel once.

10. Hey, I just got it off, thanx a lot for everything everyone. The reason I panicked is that it was the scales around the mouth as well, and I have heard time and time again that the area around the mouth is more suseptable to bacterial infections since that is where water can get trapped between the old and new scales. thanx for your help guys

11. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

glad to hear it worked out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.