This Disappears When Logged In

Unidentified flying insect

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Ssativa, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

It has 6 legs, 1 pair of wings and a tail and it was flying around in my kitchen. What is this insect?
    [​IMG]

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

ewwwww! :eek: that pic and the one with the link freak me out. although once i saw a yellow and black bug in my pool and when i fished it out with the net it moved its tail end like a scorpion stinging. ick... scared me alot lol. :p how big are those things? the one i saw was kind of tiny.

4. Ssativa

It is definitely nothing like the bug from the link. I took more pictures I'll have to find time to post them tomorrow. It looks more like an overgrown mosquito/spider with two legs missing and wings. I know it is not deformed or missing legs because I caught several of these flies and they all look the same.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, I think its just the position its in, makes it look extra weird. Those eyes and antennae tell me its a wasp though, just don't know what kind yet. Could be an ant I suppose, but either way, those are in the same Order as wasps anyway.

6. greydragon

greydragon Active Member

i to have seen this type of bug and never knew what it was i hope you find out because i have a few around here
    i live in tampa florida where are you at?

7. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

It looks like some kind of creepy mutant mosquito.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

It might be Palmodes sp, but I'll wait till you post the other pics to be sure. Palmodes dimidiatus is the florida hunting wasp, though yours lacks a reddish abdomen necessary to be this species.

9. Ssativa

I live in South Florida.

Here is another picture. It is not much better than the first but it might help.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.