This Disappears When Logged In

Unheathly Corn Snake Possible

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by nate666, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

2. mld

3. nate666

nate666 Banned User

yeah thats what i meant sorry

4. nate666

nate666 Banned User

it seems a lil difficult to post a pic on this website i have a video of it on youtube if u want to see it .its on youtube title is my corn snake killers habitat

5. nate666

nate666 Banned User

waite no the title is my anery corn snake killer in his habitat feel free to tell me about it if u saw it on youtube bad or good? tank

6. mld

That looks like a pretty tall enclosure, just wondering how you get your temperature gradient for proper thermal-regulation!

I would also get a larger water dish!
    When you are taking the temperature of the basking spot, place the probe end of the thermometer inside the hot hide on the floor this will give you the basking temp.

7. nate666

nate666 Banned User

sorry i will yeah i got a bigger dish recently im gonna have to get a bigger tank when hes older i know that i just got that tank for know because some one selled it to me only for 15 dollars im also thinking of a way to make that tank a 2 story so i dont waste some space

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

first off, he needs an under tank heater, he needs belly heat for digestion. The floor space is fine for now, but when he gets bigger you will need an enclosure that has more floor space vs height.

They can be semi-arboreal, so fill out his enclosure more with vines and such so he can climb up higher if he gets too cool, there really is not a place for him to bask. Where is his cool spot?

You said you are using a digital thermometer, but it doesn't show it in the video, just wondering where you put it LOL

I usually find cheap water dishes for little guys like him at the dollar stores, any type of bowl would work as long as he is able to get his entire body in and get out easily. Plus, you may find fake flowers/vines there too, cheap and work great!

Seriously, even though you may think his tail does not hurt, how can you be sure? You say he is really inactive, will not even drink unless you put him to his dish. This could lead to a systemic infection which could kill your snake.

9. nate666

nate666 Banned User

i dont think i want to use a under tank heater because a lot of people say thier reptiles get burnt from them the digital thrmometer wasnt in the video because i just cleaned his cage and forgot to put it in thier and i have a basking spot for him its the stick thing on the side of the tank in the video and well if his tip of his tail hurts him than i guess its not dead i think im postive its dead if it is dead and no infection thier will be no point takeing him to the vet all they will say is put antibiotic ointment on it i just dont want to waste money for that because hes sheding right now and when ever he sheds he stays in the same spot all day and any way i dnt get paid until a week or two i dont want to risk him to die but i have to sadly if he does have a infection hopefully he will make it to a week or 2 so i can take him to a vet im just not sure if something is wrong with him or not im worried hes my lil buddy i dnt want to lose him

10. nate666

nate666 Banned User

YES HES BACK!!!!he just sheded now he is moveing every were and the black tip of his tail is off i think hes ok now lol his tail looks normal now too

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

a thermostat should be used to control the temp of the heating pad, every person I know that has snakes or other reptiles requiring belly heat for proper digestion uses under tank heaters without issues of burning the animal because your regulating the temp. Heat ROCKS are what should not be used.

If that stick is his basking spot I would definitely add more items to enable him to access it better.

You can easily silicone a "loft" into place so you and he is utilizing the space better, add another stick to the back wall, silicone another from the back wall to the side wall making a triangle, then silicone a small lightweight piece of wood on top of the triangle, add more branches and woohoo second floor LOL

12. nate666

nate666 Banned User

thanks ill try to do that and theres no reason to be rude and am going to get him climbing stuff but i was already going to do that before u told me and i would proly get him more but hes not much of a climber as are most corn snakes im proly just going to get him a few stuff to climb on and instead of useing a heating pad im just gonna put a tile on the floor in the tank and it will get heated from the light hiting it

13. nate666

nate666 Banned User

my snake tail is all good now he just sheded he tail is no loner black and has healed and he is now active again

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I'm sorry but I don't feel that I was being rude, merely trying to get you to give your snake PROPER care so that he does not go through this again and perhaps lose his life because of your inability to listen and accept help when given. I wish you good luck with your animal, hopefully he stays healthy.

15. nate666

nate666 Banned User

i know ur trying to help but all ur advice isnt true in fact haveing alot of stuff in a snakes tank can stress it out i did alot research ok if u think im not takeing good care of my snake than correct me im only 16 and this is my first reptile and yes u are kinda rude read some of ur comment on this thread hope ur animal doesnt die ***** u could atleast correct me properly and what do u mean so this doesnt happen again i learned from that mistake i mist his cage now and then and i give him baths and check for dead skin so this doesnt happen again who are you to talk to me like that u dont know me

16. nate666

nate666 Banned User

what makes you think u know everything i was looking at ur pics of ur reptiles u had news paper for the floor of the cage thats not good careing at all the fumes from the ink can cause respiratory problems and ur skink can eventually die maby u should do research before you give people advice

17. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

On your youtube account, you also have a video of your corn feeding. "my corn snake strikes and constricts a mouse" Feeding live prey can be quite dangerous to your snake, and most experienced snake keepers prefer f/t mice instead. Please take a moment to read over this article.

Feeding Prekilled vs. Live Prey

Also, in your comment, you mention you are 16 and this is your first reptile. For you to say "i did alot research ok", it certainty does not sound like it. Please also read over the care sheet if you have not already.

Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus) Caresheet

I am assuming you came on to this site to gain knowledge and advice from members who have their own experience with corns. You may take the advice as it is given, or you can turn a blind eye. However, being rude in a post will not encourage people to offer their advice. I suggest you do a "bit more research" and take amazing care of your snake so it can live a long, happy, and healthy life. Also, it might not be a bad idea to call one of the vets that were posted earlier, even though you say your corn is doing fine now. It obviously was not doing fine a while ago for you to have posted something looking for information. A call is free, and if you describe what happened, the vet may be able to give you an answer that will help your corn without having to take it in (and spend money).

Good luck.

18. nate666

nate666 Banned User

thanks for the info i tryed feeding my snake frozen mice he just will not eat it i used the warm water method didnt work and made move around with a pencil didnt work either and im sorry misbrat but realy news paper for the floor of a tank can cause respitory problems from the fumes of ink

19. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

If you look closely at the picture and right below it, you can see it was taken (and posted) over 2 years ago. I think it is safe to assume that it is an outdated shot and a lot may have changed since then. I happen to think missabrat gives amazing advice, and it might do you some good to re-read her posts and take notice of some of the things she suggested.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok! Here we go!
    Exactly what is your medical training to determine this? And blood clots have nothing to do with infection in a snake's tail circulation being cut off.
    Oh I think having the end of the tail tissue being dead and possibly rotting would be a pretty serious symptom.
    Again you are ASSUMING that there is no infection. If the end of your finger turned black and died would you not go to the doctor. After all you don't need it to walk.
    Or the infection from the rotting tissue poisons their body and they die!
    So in six hours the tail fell off and the broken end healed up and is back to normal.
    Absolutely amazing! :rolleyes:
    Apparently not enough! Having a bare tank with a lot of open space without cover is what stresses them out. In the wild you will often find snakes in brush piles. In the wide open they are vulnerable to predators.
    And maybe YOU should actually know what you are talking about before you start spouting nonsense just to try to make yourself look better.
    The ink in B&W newspaper is soy based and totally nontoxic.
    It always amazes me when someone comes on here asking for advice and just because people tell them things that they do not want to hear, they are being "rude". It is not being rude to tell you that, if you choose to disregard what you are being told, that your animal could die!
    And for your information a lot of what you are claiming to "know" is incorrect! Surfing a couple of websites doesn't make you an expert.

We have keepers here who have been keeping reptiles longer than you have been alive! There is a fountain of knowledge here for you to learn from and better your skills at keeping your snake.
    But first you have to drop your "I know everything" attitude and LISTEN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.