This Disappears When Logged In

Unheathly Corn Snake Possible

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by nate666, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate666

nate666 Banned User

Well my corn snake had dead skin on his tail and i started misting the cage so it could come off it didn't work so i decided to peel it off with my nails took awhile but i got it all off this was about 2 weeks ago his tail just looks squeezed and the tip of it is black its tail doesn't look like it got better and it doesn't look worse but any way hes really inactive now he stays in the same spot all day he eats though but i have to pick him up just so he can get a drink of water because i don't think he will get it himself if he is thirsty idk if he is sick or not but any info will help hes my little buddy

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think you should take him to the vet before it gets worse! He may need to be treated if an infection has set in!

3. nate666

nate666 Banned User

idk were the nearest reptile vet is were i live and i just dont have the money right now to take him to one

4. mld

I don't know where you live but this may help!
    Reptile Vet Finder

If not let us know where you live and we can try to find one!

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Where are you located?

A vet is probably your only hope of helping him!

If the tip of the tail is Black, that means it is dead tissue and most likely he has an infection running through his body!

Has he had bad sheds before?

Can you post a pic of the affected area

6. nate666

nate666 Banned User

i live at rosamond ca and yes he had a bad shed when i first got him and i took a picture a few time it didnt come out good because i have a crappy camera and his tail is small

7. mld

8. nate666

nate666 Banned User

alright thanks guys he might be inactive because hes sheding if it doesnt get better ill proly take him to a vet in a week

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

shedding is not going to help his tail get better and neither is waiting a week!! He could die in that time period!

10. nate666

nate666 Banned User

i know sheding isnt going to help his tail im saying that could be y he is inactive and hes showing no sighs of iffection like he doesnt have a blood clot like how must infections start from dead skin on a snakes tail and no puss is coming out of him which is another sighn of infection and i know waiteing isnt going to help but i have to waite untill i get paid so i can take him to a vet

11. mld

12. nate666

nate666 Banned User

o i know its not that hes tail has not been crushed at least i think .the skin on his tail just got its circulation cut off and killed the tip of his tail and left a lil more of his tail a lil squeezed looking. and i think that mostly happens to iguanas

13. nate666

nate666 Banned User

i know this because i had to get the dead skin off him and i did a lil reasearch about dead skin on snakes tails. btw should i still take him to a vet if he has no symtoms?????usides being inactive which could be the cause of him going to shed

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

would you like walking around with a dead foot?

15. nate666

nate666 Banned User

yeah that would be bad *** lol well it wouldnt matter then for a snake because well its dead they dont need thier tip of thier tail to walk nor does it hurt them its dead skin and thiers nothing a vet can do for a snake with a dead tail that has no infection

16. nate666

nate666 Banned User

and when snakes tails die it falls off then naturally heals by itself thanks for that usefull comment missbrat lol

17. mld

Your snake is obviously having shedding issues! You need to make sure that your temps and humidity are good, using proper thermometer to get an accurate reading. Read though this article it talks about stuck shed on snakes and using a pillow case to aid in trouble sheds.

Dysecdysis - Shedding Problems

You may also want to put a triple antibiotic ointment ( without painkiller) to the area and hopefully it doesn't get an infection and work it way up the body!
    Good Luck!

18. nate666

nate666 Banned User

thanks i mist the tank once awhile and he has one hide that i keep moist since his improper shed and i give him a bath once awhile

19. mld

Is his water dish large enough to let him soak in? How are you heating, heat bulb, or under the tank heater? What types of thermostat are you using dial, stripe or digital with a probe.
    What are your basking temps (hot hide) and what are the temps on the cool side and what is your humidity level?
    Pictures would be great!

20. nate666

nate666 Banned User

yeah the water dish is big enough for him to soak in but he never does lol i dont have a under tank heater i use heat bubls i use a dital thermostat idk the humidity level his basking spot is around 88 most of the time and the cool spot is usualy 72 and i tryed puting a pic of his enclouser but i couldnt figure it out how to put it on here lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.