This Disappears When Logged In

unhappy burm

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by deemac, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deemac

deemac New Member

a friend of mine has a burm. when you try to pick him up he hiss and pulls away and flatens out.he is about 2 years old not all that big.also how often should he be feeding him.thanks in advance darrell.

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Sounds like he hasnt been handled very often if that is the behavior he is exhibiting...Gentle firm daily handling will probably bring him out of that behavior...Im not positive but I believe being in the growth mode and assuming the burm is about 2 or 3ft or so, I would say weekly feedings of at least small to medium rats...but you didnt say how big he is...one way to judge food size is the rat can be the same size or slightly larger than the largest part of his body....good luck!

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I don't keep burms, but I was under the impression a 2 year old would be between 8-12 feet long already. Unless I am mistaken, don't burms reach their full length between 4-5 years of age?

The reason I am pointing this is out is because you stated that the burm isn't all that big. I consider anything over 8 feet large. lol If the snake isn't that large yet, the feeding frequency may not be adequate. A hungry snake would also be cause for the snake to have an agressive disposition.

It would be great if you could let us know how much he weighs, how long he is, what he is fed, and how often.

Many people slow growth and try to stunt the snakes growth by not feeding it as frequently as they should. (At least once a week with prey adequately sized for the snake.) This isn't always the best technique to use, because as stated, a hungry snake is not a happy snake. ;)

4. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

yes as Rich stated, some of that pertinent info;size,weight,prey size,etc. would help out a lot, is it a male or female? males tend to be smaller than females but both tend to slow there growth at about 10' range and continue growing the rest of their lives. the first 18 months are the critical growing months of a young burms life, if not feed in proper intervals or wrong size prey they can become severely stunted, also genetics play a large role in growth as well, i would say on "average" a two year old burm should be somewhere in the 6'-8' range, though they can certainly grow much quicker and longer in that period of time. for prey size i would go by the size of the burm and and not the age, generally slightly larger than the thickest part of it's body. post some pics with you for some size comparison if you have the chance, good luck. oh yea what are the temps and humidity at? wrong temps could make for an irritable snake.lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.