This Disappears When Logged In

Unexpected Hatching

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Dragoness, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, last fall, I went for a hike, and collected about 6 pairs of Anisomorpha buprestoides (Two-Striped Walkingstick) for work (zoo). Anyways, I had them set up in a small terrarium overnight. They are most commonly observed in the fall, as they move to the ground in pairs (like the one pictured, large female, small piggyback male) to deposit eggs in the soil.

I guess they deposited a bunch in the soil of the terrarium they were in for a night, and I hadn't bothered to change it, in fact, I was placing Superworm pupa in there to hatch into darkling beetles. I came home from a week-long trip to Michigan, and found baby Anisomorpha buprestoides. Right now, I'm up to six, and they are set up in a jar with a wet paper towel, and some food (they are known to eat oak, but many phasmids will also take bramble, so I have supplied both.

wish me luck - these insects have not been well-studied, so not much is known about them. What I don't know, I am largely guessing at, as so many phasmids have similar care, and trying to fill in the blanks.

10.20.09_181.jpg

Attached Files:

2. MamaGwynn

MamaGwynn Elite Member

Wow that's really neat! Good luck with them!

3. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Cool! What do you think you will do with them? I mean once they are larger? To the zoo?

4. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Sweet! Good luck with them

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

That's so cool! Do you have pictures of the young yet? I hope you can get them to reach maturity!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

[​IMG]

There is one of the little guys - was taking them out of the terrarium, and putting them in a plastic container better suited to keeping them inside it.

I imagine that if they make it to maturity, I might keep a few for my own enjoyment, though I am not sure what their lifespans are. I will probably stick a few in the zoo. I rather like them.

This summarizes most of what is known about them:

twostriped walkingstick - Anisomorpha buprestoides (Stoll)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, as of this morning, I am up to 13 babies, all eating Bramble (they completely ignore the oak I offer them), and growing fast! I still have another one pop up every day or two.... Don't know how many I'll end up with.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Pity about the secretions, otherwise possible food, and now you`ll probably end up being "mother" to thousands of them!

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

too neat !!

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Many stick insects can give off secretions of varying types. The Australian ones we have at work apparently give off one that supposedly smells like toffee or amaretto if bothered. Ours have not been bothered enough yet though.... I have never smelled toffee or amaretto when working around them. Personally, That would not deter me, I think it would make me try harder to eat the thing, were I a foraging animal.

11. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That really is great Jen! Congratulations to the new "Mommy"!!!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, 3 or 4 of them went through their first Instar (molt) last night. They are growing like weeds, and some of them are over two weeks apart in age, so there is some size difference. Took this picture this morning.

2.10.10_018.jpg

Attached Files:

13. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

They are fun little guys!

14. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

I saw a guy yesterday at the All Ohio expo selling a few of these. They are a very interesting insect!

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Selling them? lol. I can walk outside during the fall and collect dozens. How much was he selling them for? Maybe I could start a business here breeding these guys in captivity...

16. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

That's honestly how I feel about people selling anoles! EVERYWHERE where I live in Texas! Step into some grass and you'll see 20 or so scatter!

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah, we have those here too. I used to live in Michigan, they sold anoles in every pet shop for $5 for greens, and the browns were exotic, so they sold for $9, despite they are an invasive pest here in Fl.

No new babies recently, so I think 13 is the magic number I get.

18. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

They sell anoles here for like 7-10 dollars and I am all the way up in Canada, but when I went to florida I could have caught 20,000 of them, even right near the city, every bush you touch they fly out, can't imagine what the estimated population of anoles in the states is.

Anyways, that's pretty neat, stick insects are rther fascinating. Someone in my city was selling a huge collection of stick bugs, he had so many. Haha.

19. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

I've seen blue tailed five lined skinks for sale online. I find this enormously funny as they are EVERYWHERE here in Virginia! You can't walk outside without running into one in the summer.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, we are up to 15 babies (2 late hatchers) and they are growing FAST!

Well, Florida has an abundance of Brown Anoles, but not so many Greens, though I did read a study that suggests the greens take to the trees when browns abound, and that browns stay closer to the ground, which would explain why we see mostly browns... people don't climb a lot of trees, at least not adults.

Greens are native by the way. Browns are an exotic non-native.