This Disappears When Logged In

Unexpected Death

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by hemsley, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemsley

hemsley Member

Since November (2008) I have kept two side striped chameleons. Wednesday morning I noticed that one wasn't eating. From previous experience I know chameleons go down hill quick. I was going on a trip to the vets the following day. I went out into the reptile room at about half past ten that night, to feed the giant millipedes, and she was fine and wandering around. I woke up on Thursday to find that she had died during the night. She had always been a bright green colour, but most of her was now pure black. The male was very distressed and pacing the vivarium floor. I removed her and he calmed. I then disinfected the whole viv and all it's contents, and replaced my one remaining male. He seems to have calmed down but is craving human attention. Just wondering if anyone else has come across such a sudden unexpected death?

Thanks!

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your loss!

3. venus

venus Founding Member

:( Sorry to hear that.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Sorry for your loss.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

When I volunteered at the vivarium in a zoo a few years ago, quite a few of the chameleons behind the scenes "just died". I put it down to poor husbandry in the zoo's case... the animals were not kept with the proper conditions and the males could often see each other and stressed each other to death.
    Like you said, when chams show the slightest sign of something wrong, it tends to go downhill rapidly. Are you going to get a necropsy done on the female?
    Sorry for your loss, hopefully the male will be OK.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Sorry for your loss :(

7. mona

mona Member

sorry to hear your loss.

8. 789leo987

789leo987 Elite Member

Oh, Sorry for such a tragic loss :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.