This Disappears When Logged In

Underweight Ball Python?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Nicholas623, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Nicholas623

Nicholas623 Member

IMG_8671.JPG IMG_8672.JPG IMG_8673.JPG IMG_8674.JPG IMG_8675.JPG IMG_8676.JPG IMG_8677.JPG Hey everyone!

So this is my first post on herpcenter.com or any forum regarding reptiles, so bare with me!

So tuesday I bought a normal male baby ball python from LLLreptiles, but I think it's underweight. I don't have a scale, but I will be getting one tomorrow as well as a better hide because I'm going to the New Hampshire reptile expo tomorrow. He breathes pretty heavily as well, I think it might just be stress but Im not sure. He's in a 16 qt tub with a zoo med heat pad and a water bowl on the cool side and newspaper and paper towels as bedding(pictures will be included). I would also like to know what size mice/rats I should be feeding him because he's pretty thin, I believe right now I have hoppers but if that's too big or too small I'd appreciate any recommendations! I tried to feed him but he didn't seem very interested, he looked at it but didn't attempt anything. I tried to feed him on Thursday, and tried again Friday but I don't want to stress him out so I'm not going to try for a couple of days. Also, if the tub is too big or too small I have different sizes and I could always pick some up. Sorry for a lot of pictures, just wanted all of you to get a good look at him!

Thank you!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi there and welcome. I generally start my balls on fuzzy rats right out of the egg, so if your trying mouse hoppers I would say you need to go up in size. Also, are you trying frozen or live, and do you know what it was being fed before? Also, do you know your temps and humidity in the cage, and how are you measuring them? And until I get the answers on those, I will say that you should wait at least a week before attempting to feed again. It's probably just stress from changing cages and such, and it may take a week or two before it will eat.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks fine. Baby ball pythons are much more slender than older ones. They don't get that sausage look until they get older.

4. Nicholas623

Nicholas623 Member

He's being fed frozen hoppers( I believe they're hoppers) and he was eating frozen small adult mice. For temperature his basking spot is about 92-93 F and humidity is about 60%-70%. For temperatures I have a zoo med thermometer + hygrometer (Analog, not the best I know) I also have a Acurite meat/cooking thermometer, and a zoo med temperature gun. All three are accurate and are at most 1 degree off from each other all together. Cool side is about 80-83. I also bought him a small black hide that you see in a lot of snake racks, not sure what it's called but he enjoys it. Do you think the setup is too big/ too small? If it is I have multiple enclosures he could go in.

5. Nicholas623

Nicholas623 Member

Okay, thank you so much! I'm new to snakes and wanted to make sure everything was alright. Hopefully he eats for me soon :)

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Dont stress over it too much. It's pretty normal for a newly acquired ball python to not eat for a couple weeks, sometimes more.