This Disappears When Logged In

Under Tank Heaters Placement

Discussion in 'Heating' started by akbaby907, May 18, 2014.

1. akbaby907

akbaby907 Active Member

A few weeks back I read an article that UTH placed on the underside of the tank essentially bake humidity out of your boa and so should be placed on the side for radiant heat. I switched my heat mat to the side and definitely noticed an easier shed for my boa immediately after. Reading through the care guide here and a few other articles, I've come across the need for belly heat for digestion and breeding. I haven't noticed any problems after feeding for my girl, and was just at the vet for a check-up which was declared in excellent health. I've only fed once after switching it to the side of my tank.

So my questions are
    1. Is belly heat necessary for digestion, or does just a hot spot area do the same thing?
    2. Could the "bake out" be caused by not having a regulated heat mat, like without a controller? (I'm drawing a blank on the device's actual name)

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

"Heat" is necessary for digestion. There are many ways to provide that heat. So long as your enclosure is heated properly, the snake will be able to digest its meal.