This Disappears When Logged In

Under Tank Heater Question

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by mrpittsir, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpittsir

mrpittsir Member

I have a Zoo Med Repti Therm U.T.H. that I am using under my glass tank. I am setting it up in preparation for when I get a boa to make sure my temperatures and humidity is good. I recently put some Repti Bark for my substrate and when I did, the under tank heater caused a lot of condensation on the lower part of the tank where the bark is. The instructions for the heater stress that you can't get water on the tank or it will cause a stress crack. Does anyone know if the condensation is enough to cause this to happen. I'm not sure how much water is a problem.

Thanks.

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Water isn't so much of a problem, your not going to want to be poring cold water on to hot glass but the condensation shouldn't cause a problem. The biggest cause of cracked glass when using under tank heaters is not raising the tank to give air flow under the tank, causing heat to build up with nowhere to go the glass can't transfer the heat to the substrate at the rate it's produced and the glass cracks.

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I find the best way to use an UTH is to attach it to either a piece of plexiglass or glass, not the tank itself, and that way you can move it where ever you want to. You also can use it over and over. I personally have it attached to a piece of glass out of an old picture frame and it works great that way (plus this way it won't get ruined if you need to take it off the tank for any reason :))

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Red Tail in a glass tank? Unless that tank is positively huge, it won't last long.

5. mrpittsir

mrpittsir Member

ok. That's what I thought. Thank you. I just wasn't sure.

I know the tank won't last too long, but it's 36' by 20' by 18', and I'm going to get a small one so I think it will give me enough time to work on getting something bigger.

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

You could and I'll stress could get 6-10 months out of that cage. Colombains grow the quickest if thats what your looking at.

7. mrpittsir

mrpittsir Member

I will be able to get something bigger by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.