This Disappears When Logged In

Under Bed Enclosure

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Lithium, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Lithium

Lithium Member

I've had this idea of building a large structurally sound enclosure that could support the weight of a person and a matress for a while now. If I did build it, it would be large enough for an Argus Monitor or something of similar size. Does this sound possible?

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

it depends on how you plan on building it and the type of lighting you are planning on using..... as I would be afraid of if using lamp fixtures, it causing a fire hazard.....

- - - Updated - - -

ive seen a snake bin setup that was made to slid under a bed before.....

3. Lithium

Lithium Member

I could compensate for that with a chamber above the cage itself for the lights with ventilation. If I ever do something like this, I have a few years to plan. I don't even have anything I could put in it yet.

4. ReptiGeek

ReptiGeek Member

I think the best way to go about it would be to build the frame of the cage as the bed frame from metal if possible. You don't want to have a dream where you're skydiving and then wake up to a crushed lizard.
    In other words, a tall bed frame where the legs are the corners of the cage. But, I know nothing about building stuff.

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

How high off the ground are you talking about? I'm just curious. I like the idea especially since it saves room, but i'm thinking the bed would be too high off the ground for my comfort.

6. Lithium

Lithium Member

It depends, the highest it could probably go would be maybe four feet, less would probably be safer. Something like this would work best for a terrestrial lizards or maybe a large snake.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We actually had a discussion about doing this a while back. One thing to keep in mind with the bed on top of the cage and heating elements is it may make your bed a bit on the warm side!

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would think height and fixture heat would be your main issues. Unless you want it to be bunk bed height, I'm not sure you could achieve a cage height that would be useful for lizards. You could probably make a heck of a boa setup though.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I had drawn up designs and was discussing this on here. My design would have been for a young desert tortoise but it could work for a tegu, snake, or other ground dwelling lizard that doesnt need a cage taller than 4ft. It could even work for a sav but thats cutting it close and the weight maybe too much for most floors. if the roof was well insulated it wouldnt heat your bed and if you used heat panels for basking, low profile LEDs or T5 fixtures for lighting you wouldnt need much clearance for lighting. If the bed was too high to get in comfortably you can always have stairs that doubled as nightstands.

The main issue I figured was how to gain access to the the back of the tank to clean which could be solved with a hinged bed on actuators (I think this is what its called, they are like shocks but made to hold things open like windows on a jeep or truck bed covers...) then you could make the front able to swing open (maybe in 2 pieces) and this would allow you to climb inside and clean. Or build the frame for the bed and then make the tank itself on rollers or tracks and then you can pull it out from either side of the bed in order to clean-though this could get messy depending on how much water/substrates in the tank.

A better option would be to use the area for smaller nocturnal species like geckos and make the cages only a couple feet deep and then use led lights in blue or red to light up the cage and put them on display. Black lights may work as well-OH!!! A scorpion tank would be awesome!!!

10. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

keep substrate in mind also. At four feet you are not going to get much substrate or headroom for monitors, tegus etc.

11. AlexisFitzy

AlexisFitzy Active Member

For a heating element I would go with Radiant Heat Panels. They won't cause a fire and can heat up a large area safely without the risk of burning your animals. I recommend the heat panels from Pro Products, I have one and it works perfectly I love it. You answer a couple of questions like: what are the dimensions of the cage, what will you be putting in the cage, what are the high/low temperatures of your house etc. and they will tell which heat panel would be the best fit for the cage. they have over 200 different heat panel sizes so I bet they could hook you up with one :)

Pro Heat

12. kimbodini

kimbodini Member

As Thalatte mentioned putting dampeners under the bed would work and would be simple enough to get out of any junk yard. My cousin actually made something similar for his wife to store all her shoes underneath their queen size bed. The weight holds the bed down and is a little heavy at first to lift but it goes up and supports the weight pretty well. I could have him send me a pic if anyone was interested to see. Also as others have already said the heat may be an issue but I liked the idea of an air chamber because you could install a few computer fans and push air through and out at the foot end of the bed

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've seen a write up on one. I believe it was here on HC.
    I can't seem to find it yet.

14. Saborun

Saborun Well-Known Member

Just buy a loft bed and redo the out side of the frame in wood or whatever your using for the terrarium and then like they said you can make the terrarium on wheels so you can pull it out and also open on one side so that you can go in and clean. this way you don't have to make the frame

15. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There is a thread somewhere on the site and it includes pictures of the enclosure as it is being built. I have tried searching but failed to find it.

16. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Awesome!!! See an under bed tank is doable. Though I wish the poster had put up whether the tank made the bed hot or not.

Edit: I was also thinking about the height and stuff. Its not like you would need a boxspring under the mattress so that would save some room and not make the entire thing too high...Now I have renewed my interest in making an under bed tank. I am thinking one under a king size or cali king size bed with an L shaped beardie tank that shows at the foot of the bed and along my side then the empty space under mike's side of the bed would be a dog bed or crate! Harley would have a larger cage thats easier for me to access and the pup would have a place to sleep. OR make it multiple cages and then I have room to expand again!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014