This Disappears When Logged In

Uhhhh is This a Problem?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by purplemuffin, Oct 16, 2011.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

So, Nathan's dad picked up worms for Brooklyn's frog. He was grabbing nightcrawlers, but grabbed the wrong ones, and got the glowing green nightcrawlers(I guess they have that gfp stuff?? Maybe something else, but they glow green!!)

Anyway. He fed the frog the worms anyway, and now the frog is peeing green and turning the water neon green.

So.....is this a problem? It's..kind of disturbing. :confused: I haven't heard of anyone doing this before, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned!

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

This is totally assumption on my part, but if those worms, which I'd guess are meant as bait for fish, who will in turn eat the glowy worms, and those fish are later eaten by humans, then hopefully whoever sells those made sure they were nontoxic.

3. purplemuffin

That was my guess as well, but I wasn't sure if it was possibly made using something that would be nontoxic to humans but possibly dangerous to frogs. Never hurts to check!

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Yeah, sorry I don't know any more about it. If he's peeing green that's probably a good sign as well though, because it means it's being flushed out of his system and not staying inside him to poison him.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They very well may be toxic to the frog. Think about it for a second. Many things like oils and other chemicals are considered non-toxic to us because we are able to filter out "x" amount of that chemical in our bodies. Things are only listed as toxic when they exceed the safe level WE can handle. Frogs are much more sensitive than us so hopefully the dyes the worms have ingested aren't toxic to him.

6. purplemuffin

That's what I'm hoping. I'm just amazed that they decided to feed the worms to him anyway, I mean it is not like it's not noticeable, they are GREEN

article-1390977-0C41D19100000578-948_468x286.jpg
    Example image. They are called "Worm Glo"

Trying my hardest to look up what they use. Supposedly the worms are fed something that makes them green for up to two weeks. Some kind of 'nutrient' from cave worms. Can't find the ingredient list, they call it a 'secret ingredient'

Ugh, this is so ridiculous. He stopped feeding the worms to him. I'll tell you if he starts acting funny or not

Attached Files:

7. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Worms themselves are pretty sensitive to toxins, who knows it might be ok, it might not. Bottom line, if your not sure, its not worth the risk.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What HE said! LOL!
    I am always reluctant to use any thing with dyes in it.

9. purplemuffin

Yeah me too! We don't even like the bird pellets with the dyes in them. It's weird, and I don't think she needs to have it going through her system.

He gave away the worms to someone who went fishing today, so that's good news.

Meanwhile the water in his tank is neon green! O_O

He's still acting normally. Hopefully it'll all get out of his system just fine!

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Activated carbon should remove the green tint.

11. purplemuffin

I don't know if I necessarily want to remove the green tint right now other than simply changing the water, I kind of want to make sure I know for sure if he's still got the green in him and how long it takes for him to stop causing the color change. But if the carbon will also help him feel better if it does make him sick I will add it!

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glow in the dark worms, Weird, not sure if I like that idea :confused:

13. purplemuffin

Supposedly makes it easier for fish to see them in bad weather conditions. But from what I hear from fishermen they don't help at all, lol! Just a gimmick...

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

my husband also agrees it's a gimmick. I would tink that if it was going to harm your frog, it would have done so already. Hopefully the dye will get out of his system soon.

15. purplemuffin

That makes me feel a lot better.. Still will keep an eye out, but relieved. Still looking normal.

Woo! Already dealing with the sick fish(who is getting better, yay!) and Freckle's special needs, we do not need any more problems that could have been prevented!