This Disappears When Logged In

Uh Oh, I'm Expanding My Horizons.

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by TJOHNSON722, Jun 29, 2013.

1. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

So for the past year I've been highly interested in tarantulas. I used to have this horrid fear of them, now I don't. I've found a Thai tiger at my local herp friendly petstore (managers a big reptile nut like I am). Anyways, husband says over my dead body. Naturally, now I want one, bad...... He will get over it.

I know this particular spider shouldn't be handled and can be nasty. I've read basic care and I actually have some moss, ecoearth, 10 gallon tank with lid, reptile bowl, already get feeders for lala, etc. I've read temps, humidity, etc. Basically everything but the spider.

Ok, now the questions. How, if I really can't handle it, am I supposed to clean cage out? I'm not wanting a spider I can hold daily, I more want to watch it and study it. Either way, how do you do it? How often do you clean?

Any other suggestions or hints? Even if its a different type of spider. Lets hear it......and thanks.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Bumping hoping someone can help.

This spider has never been handled that I'm looking at (Thai tiger) and I hear they can have nasty attitudes.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You can coax it into a Dixie cup or Tupperware to hold it while you're cleaning.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That's a good idea. Hadn't even thought of that. I was thinking tongs but didn't want to hurt it. That's a much better idea.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It's what I did with the T.Blondi, she was having no part of me cleaning or even looking her way thinking about cleaning :p

6. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

T Blondies are so cool. I am not a spider person but I saw this guy on you tube who had the biggest one I have ever seen. I watched all these videos on her. She was as big as a plate. 10 or 11 inches. And I practically fell in love. And then I saw the last ones where something was wrong and then she died. :( it was sad. He posted so many videos on his Blondies. He had many lol. I gained a new respect for big spiders lol

7. T100

T100 Active Member

The jumping spider is so cute it will break anybody's fear in my humble opinion.

8. PeanutsMarmiteSydney

PeanutsMarmiteSydney Elite Member

I agree, they have adorable little faces!